Wednesday, 3 August 2011

How to Make Panna Cotta

Panna Cotta is one of the easiest desserts to make but can be very impressive on a plate with a lovely fruit sauce.

Ingredients :- 1/3 cup milk
                      7g gelatine
                      2 1/2 cups of cream
                      1/2 cup sugar
                      1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla


Firstly stir the gelatine into a cup with the milk and set aside.  It goes quite lumpy.  Sorry, the photo's not very clear.



Grease some ramekins.


Put the cream and sugar into a saucepan over medium heat.  Stir constantly until it starts to boil.  Be warned!  Do not walk away at this stage.  When it boils, it suddenly rises up the pan.


Once boiling, immediately add the gelatine and milk and stir over the heat for one minute to dissolve the gelatine.  Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla essence (so excited that my vanilla essence is now certified organic!)


Pour into ramekins.


Leave on the bench to cool.  Then refrigerate for a few hours until set.


Run a knife around the ramekin to loosen the panna cotta and turn onto a plate.  Pour a nice sauce over the top.  I have used quince jelly this time because I have it in the fridge.  Sometimes I puree raspberries or stew rhubarb to serve with the panna cotta.  Use any sauce you like.  I find a tart sauce goes well with the sweet and creamy flavour.

 

Easy isn't it?  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Busy mum of 3 said...

I've been watching them make Panna Cotta on Masterchef recently, and I'm wanting to give it a go, I also want to try creme caramel from scratch too... so many recipes...so little time!
It looks good.

Linda said...

I love panna cotta and first decided to make it after paying nine dollars for my morning tea at a local winery. I was amazed at how easy it is. It takes about ten minutes and I've never worked it out but I reckon it would cost around three dollars to make six. Not bad for something so yummy! Give it a go!