So I was mulling over how to explain clearly what the situation is without rambling. I couldn't believe my luck when I read Linn's post over at Linni at home. What did I find, but a short and very clear explanation of the issues!!!
Please watch and enjoy learning from this You Tube clip......
So what can you do personally? Well, just remember, money is power. You have power! If everyone wanted to spend their money by shopping sustainably, then even the corporations would cater to us because, after all, they want our money.
So here's an easy start for you -
- Take the situation seriously and make some changes
- Shop locally because it saves precious fossil fuels
- Stop buying STUFF that you don't need, which will save you money so that you can...
- Shop organically because it improves the health of our planet
- Cook from scratch because processed food wastes many resources like electricity and petrol
- Grow your own veggies
- Get to know others who are trying to live sustainably. You can work together on ideas.
If everybody started doing these simple things, we would be well on our way to ensuring a future for our children. You don't need to radically alter your lifestyle overnight. Just start making some changes and once they become a normal part of daily life, make another change. And don't stop making changes! Gradually you would get used to living differently, more thoughtfully.
So every time you spend some money, stop and think, "Am I using my power wisely?"