Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Cup Day Roses

I'm not sure how well Melbourne Cup is known overseas, but today is Melbourne Cup Day.  It is a day of horse racing.  I NEVER bet on horses, lottery tickets or anything but I love Cup Day.  It is the one day of the year that I walk into a TAB and place a bet.  I love the Australian-ness of a public holiday and huge celebration for a horse race!

Today I have decided not to go to town to place a bet for the first time in my adult life, but we are having friends over for a BBQ and we will be having a sweep here at our place.  We put in a small amount of money and pull horses names out of a hat.

Melbourne Cup Day is also famous for it display of roses.  They are fussed over year long so that they will be at the peak of perfection for the big day!  Oh and fashion, the race is known for it's fashion so we will be dressing up and donning hats.

So................... This morning, as well as finished off a pavlova, I have been out in the garden dead-heading my roses.





Have a wonderful Cup Day wherever you may be!  Wishing YOU a day of food, friends, fashion, fragrance and fun.

3 comments:

purplepear said...

I do hope you have a lovely day. I had forgotten all about it really. Not a public holiday here. Your roses look beautiful.I especially like the orangey/ yellow one at the top.

Busy mum of 3 said...

I only occasionally bet on The Melbourne Cup, today I did and lost, but I texted hubby (who is in Sydney ATM) and said if you are going to put a bet on today, put it on Green Moon, because I wanted to bet on that one, but didn't want to spend any more money...he won $300.

Which is almost halfway to covering the cost of replacing our 2 front tyres which were slashes by ???? at the airport!!

You win some you lose some!

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

the roses seem especially lovely this year. We watched the race but my small gamble went on that silly lottery draw.