Sunday, 18 November 2012

The Week That Was

Hubby did some shearing for friends.  The men set to work.......
while we made ourselves comfortable and offered plenty of good advice!

The clothes are taking over the house........
and the garden is looking bare. 
 But if you look closely, there is still stuff happening.
The orchard cheers me up with its productive trees........



This girl is a wonderful mum!
 And these guys are going to be my paddock chooks.  They are australorps (my favourite chooks) and I hope they will provide meat and eggs while fertilising some pretty sorry paddocks.  They have no mum because the bantam was busy with the dorking chickens, so they were incubated and are now in a brooder box.
And the highlight of my week... 
If he looks a little blurry it's because the man NEVER stops moving!!!
I was lucky enough to meet Costa!  He opened a community garden at a town nearby so Pumpkin, Belle and I went to hear him talk.  I pulled Belle out of school for the day because I think an education on sustainability is the best a child can have.  Buddy Boy refused to come.  He wanted to go to school!  Well I couldn't be unhappy about that, could I?  How wonderful that he loves school so much!
 
Well, sounds like a lovely, gooey post, doesn't it?  The reality is a lot of downs to go with my ups!  In amongst all of this was speech therapy, a parents vs. kids soccer match, assembly, a meeting to support the national disability insurance, a lunch with friends, a questionnaire to complete for an ongoing research project, a barbecue and a birthday party. 
 
I loved every minute of it, but developed a nagging sense of dejection as I became more and more tired.  We have made a conscious choice to live a thoughtful lifestyle and it's great but I often find myself feeling overwhelmed by REAL LIFE.  How do I have a productive garden and create meals from local food while paying bills, raising children and enjoying community and everything else that goes with being a person?!  I dream of a gentle life, connected with nature and community but I not sure how to achieve that balance.  I'm NEVER home!
 
I'm hoping for a quieter week this week!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, I am envious you were lucky enough to meet Costa.
I know what you mean about being overwhelmed about real life. Sometimes I find all the cooking from scratch, trying to make clothes, tending the garden and making products a bit of a juggling act, and I don't have the family commitments either. I try to be patient when I feel like this and I forgo some tasks until everything smooths out again. I hope you find some calm soon.
x

Busy mum of 3 said...

Oh you lucky thing!
Costa is my hero!
I hope he comes to the Northern Rivers one day. When I did my Love Food Hate Waste course, the woman running it spoke very highly of Costa, she said he is who he is, what you see on TV is what you get in real life. She also said he never sits still!

She didn't think much of overweight celebrity chef's either with the one exception of Jamie Oliver, and he doesn't appear to be able to sit still either, there must be something in that!

livingsimplyfree said...

I hope you do get to have a quieter week. All in all it sounds like you had a good week, if a bit overloaded. The parents vs kids soccer game would have been a blast.

Linda said...

I know Sarah! Wasn't I lucky! You are right though. Riding it out is all you can do. I feel much better now that I've had a few hours yesterday and today to catch up a bit in the garden.

Busy Mum, He was great to listen to. I love listening to anyone who talks about sustainability with such passion.

Lois I had one of the best weeks I've ever had! I just have such ridiculous expectations of being able to do it all!!!

purplepear said...

What a treat to meet Costa. We were lucky enough to have him come to the farm when he was shooting his first show A Garden Oddyssey. Austral Orps are my favourites also. Love the photo of mumma chook. I think it must be a week of feeling overwhelmed with our simple lives!

Linn said...

Lucky lady meeting Costa! He seems a very inspirational man. It must be this time of year - lot's of people are blogging about being overwhelmed. If you happen to find a good balance please let me know how you did it!!

Linda said...

Wow Kate! Did your farm feature on the show?! If it did, I would love to look at it on the computer.

Yes Linn, He's amazing! And I'll keep working on that balance thing. Let me know if you find the answer first, won't you?

purplepear said...

Yes Linda, Purple Pear was on the first series about episode 10 maybe.

Linda said...

Bugger! I just jumped online to check it out, but apparently that episode is currently off air. I thought I was going to sneak a peek at your farm!