Friday, 24 May 2013

Improvisation

Let me tell you about Wednesday.......

My day is running well.  A bit of housework, a special lunch at the school after which I will pop in to town to buy organic pasta and sauce for an easy meal.

Uh Oh! I didn't read the note properly!  I'm expected to stay till the end of the day!

Uh Oh!  I forgot Belle had an activity after school!  No time to go to the shops now!!!

Finally arrive home to realise there is no bread.  Nooooo!  Belle is due at the school at 8.00 in the morning for an excursion! I could whip up some sourdough but Belle hates it. By now I'm a mess and almost tearing my hair out.  The kids are hungry, it's dinnertime!  I don't keep convenience foods in the freezer and every time I try and cook a double meal to freeze one, the family eat double!  What am I going to do?!!

Aha!  I have arborio rice and kale in the garden.  Thank goodness I made up a risotto recipe when I was feeling creative one day because now, in my flustered state, I am able to find the recipe on my own blog and cook it up in no time!
 And the bread......?  Aha!  I'll make it into sultana bread.  She'll eat that!

Sultana Bread
 
I made up my bread as I always do but added sultanas, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.  I kneaded the dough as usual and then spread it into a rectangular shape.  I sprinkled the rectangle with brown sugar, rolled it up and allowed it to rise.  Then I baked it as usual. It went down a treat!  I'm making it again right now but trying it without the brown sugar this time.
Are you like me and have no precooked food in the house?  What do you do in food emergencies?  Do you have some standby method for crazy days or do you improvise at the time?

7 comments:

Busy mum of 3 said...

I generally have leftover bits of bread in the freezer, so for me a good standby for tea is egg soldiers!

Dani said...

Can also suggest that you make what I call flapjacks - thick small(er) pancakes, which can be filled with butter and cheesse, or jam or whatever and sandwiched together. Very quick to cook and are just as nice to eat cold. Kids love them :)

D.Hausmann said...

We always keep home canned and preserved foods in the house, along with bread and meats in the freezer.

Crunchie's Mum said...

I've made pancakes for kids lunches the next day when there isn't any bread. Also savoury scones work well for an emergency school lunch.

emergency meals at home include eggs in their many forms - fried on toast, omlette, scrambled, and I keep a can of tuna in the cupboard to make tuna bake or similar.

Lynn said...

Hi Linda,

One of my 'emergency' breads (and I can relate wholeheartedly to your situation) is flat bread madewith a basic yeast bread. There is no having to wait for the dough to rise and can be cooked in a frypan on the stove top or wood oven.

Tracey said...

Oh how I empathise! To the point where last week I wondered if it was worth putting some revolting convenience food in the freezer 'just in case'. Lady minute meals for us include risotto, eggs on toast (if there is bread) and muesli of porridge (yeah that works for dinner!). And the bread situation (which happened last week) is redeemed with pancakes, or potato rosti or cheese and crackers in the lunchbox. I went through a phase of not even having dried pasta in the house. Now I buy the organic pasta and always have a pack on standby.

Linda said...

Busy mum, yes, eggs are a great stand by!

Dani, I should have thought of pikelets or similar. If I used my wholemeal flour they would be nutritious too!

D. Haussmann, you sound super organised. I'd love to be like that!

Crunchie's mum, yes batter and eggs again. Must remember next time. I usually keep emergency tuna too. But not that day!

Hi Lynn, so good to hear from you! Do you have that as a recipe on your blog?

Tracey, I'm going to buy a tin of tuna, pasta and an organic sauce and hide them at the back of the cupboard for next time!