Monday, 19 August 2013

An abundant winter...

I'd like to explain my absence to you but then it would be less like a post, more like a diary entry.  I won't bore you.  Suffice it to say, I couldn't find the time to get near the computer.  There's been stuff happening.  I've missed my lovely readers and missed sitting down to write!
I'm so excited about my garden at the moment.  Come and have a look!  Remember I was having trouble mastering the gardening game?  Well, winter is definitely my time for abundance.  While I failed in tomatoes over the summer and had barely a zucchini to speak of (yes THE major gardening failure!) I am now happy.

In the garden I have broccoli.....
 purple broccoli....
 cauliflowers....
 the asparagus are poking up more quickly now
 and there are two types of kale to choose from.
 The rocket gets thrown in as many soups as I can dream up.
 Our garden is not large and to just look from a distance it doesn't look like too much is happening but when I walk a little closer there is food everywhere.

It has taken me a long time to get to this point but I am now in a position where I look around and see meals!  Yesterday I had the dilemma of trying to work out which meal to have when.  It was a dilemma I was quite happy to have.  "Should I have the cauliflower bake tonight or will the broccoli side shoots open up too much if I leave them?  Maybe broccoli soup tonight and the cauliflower tomorrow.  Oh, but some creamy spinach sauce would be so lovely on pasta!"

I have been dreaming of this moment for so long.  It's official! Block your ears because I feel the need to scream this next sentence.   I have more veggies than I'm using!!!! 

And then there's the improvising.  The other day I found young asparagus lying broken in the veggie bed.  This was before I had even enjoyed my first taste for the season!  I think maybe some birds had broken them off. I was NOT going to let it go to waste so I cut any other available asparagus (there wasn't really enough ready) and found a leek elsewhere in the garden.  A bit of arborio and some stock and I had a leek and spinach risotto!
 Our meals aren't always fancy and sometimes they don't even taste that good, but it's good, healthy food and we're doing our bit for creating the world I want my children to live in!  Hardly any food miles, as fresh as you can possibly get and our little area of the earth is well loved and cared for.  Oh, and most of our meals are yummy so we can put up with the occasional less-than-perfect meal and still know we are blessed to be eating good food!
Yesterday's lunch was simple but beautiful!  We turned these pickings into a meal with some of our chook's eggs.  Isn't food fun?!

How does your garden grow?  Are you are eating straight from your own patch too?!  Please drop in and let me know what you're up to.

12 comments:

Sharon said...

Your garden looks so amazing.

Busy mum of 3 said...

Hi Linda,

I get as excited as you about garden produce, what a problem to have too much! Can you blanch and freeze some, or pickle and preserve, or give it away to a friend, my address is....LOL

My veggie patch too is small, but so healthy at the moment, I think I've finally nailed a healthy soil, and the plants are bursting forth, I'm picking baby spinach and iceberg lettuce, kale, coriander and pak choy. The beetroot are looking healthy, but not quite ready to harvest. My failure has been my zucchini, I've grown them successfully before, but this time around they're not thriving :( Such is the nature of nature hey!

africanaussie said...

Oh isn't that a wonderful feeling when you have choices to cook dinner from the garden! I totally felt your joy there! I just posted a few recipes for cook ahead veggie lunches - you might be interested in some of them. I have purple broccoli envy - we can never grow those types of vegetables here - it never gets cold enough in the up here in the tropics.

Tracey said...

Hooray for you! I've never really grown winter veg before (well certainly not enough to stop shopping for veg) but this year I'm slowly but surely improving. Nothing like your lovely abundance though! I'll be patient... Perhaps next year.... Enjoy!

Linda said...

Sharon, thank you but my garden's actually not amazing. Notice the close up photos? That's the exciting bit! A gardener doesn't need to be the best in the world to produce food!

Hi busy mum, yes I'm thinking I should freeze the broccoli off shoots and eat them when my tomatoes fail! Sounds like your garden is really productive too! Yay!

Africanaussie, funny isn't it. I often lament that we can't grow as much as you, but there's good and bad to every climate. (Or just differences) I loved visiting your blog. It always gets your mind ticking when you see what others are doing/eating!

Thanks Tracey. My garden grows just a little more each year. At the moment that translates to lots of food but I'm sure summer will challenge me again!

Lynda D said...

No comment at all about the big fat ugly frog that you put right up front? All my broccoli went to seed (in Melb) apparently too warm. Cabbages are doing well as is silverbeet and parsley. Your garden is looking great and its good to see you posting again.

Linda said...

Ha ha! He was under a raspberry that I pulled out yesterday because it was growing between the rocks surrounding the bed. I thought he was lovely Lynda! Isn't that a sign of a healthy environment?

Lynda D said...

You are right. There is a place in the world for even those of the unattractive variety (though i could do without spiders, i know, i know they are important too) and yes, he wouldn't be there unless you had a complete eco-system in place. Well Done Linda

Linda said...

I'm with you Lynda! I struggle badly with spiders and wish I could appreciate their place in the world but...... Eeew!!

Amber said...

Whooo!! Yep, there's such a wonderful sense of achievement from having enough vegies in your own patch of soil that you can wander out and pick some every day. Who knew veg could bring so much joy hey? Hehe!

Amber said...

PS. Great to see that your vegie patch is also providing habitat for native wildlife such as that Banjo Frog!

Linda said...

It's the best feeling Amber! So he's a banjo frog, is he? We hear them often and I'm familiar with their noise but couldn't match them to their call because they are very quiet when you find them in the garden.

How's the shop going? We might pop in for a look one of these days.