Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Carrot, Potato and Garlic Soup

It's cosy inside.  The rain is pattering on the roof and I'm contemplating lighting a fire.  It's the time of year that I search my memory for quick and easy soups to make for yummy, warming lunches.

I harvested potato last week so the following recipe came to mind.  It is incredibly easy and delicious.  A very garlicky soup for those who love garlic as much as I do! You'll find the recipe below.

We've had a lovely week.  We caught up with Lou Lou (my eldest) and my granddaughter in a beautiful park.  It was a joy to watch her and Pumpkin play.
 Buddy played too, then was happy to sit and enjoy a book.
Autumn weather has seen me in a food mood all week.  We've had an apple pie made with our own apples.....
 quiches, chicken casseroles, spaghetti bolognese.... all the comfort foods.
Now for that soup recipe.


Carrot, Potato and Garlic Soup

5 large potatoes
8 carrots
1 head of garlic
3 litres chicken stock

Peel and chop potatos and carrots.  Peel garlic cloves.  Place in pot with the chicken stock.  Bring to the boil, then cook until the veggies are tender.  Blend in pot with stick blender.
Top with a little cream and sprinkle with paprika to serve.
Couldn't be easier really, could it?

Today I didn't have my own chicken stock so I just used three litres of water and added powdered stock when it came to the boil.  I like it much better when I use homemade chicken stock.

Do you have a favourite soup that is easy to make on a cold day?

6 comments:

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

Yes the weather is definitly getting cooler even up here in QLD. Our days are still nice and warm but the nights are cool enough to remind me to clean out the fireplace. That soup looks yummy.

rabidlittlehippy said...

Oh my, that sounds delicious and something that will appeal to all.
Pumpkin soup is my favourite winter warmer or rice pudding for breakfast. :)

Sue said...

Yep, pumpkin here too! Kids love it and if they see a pumpkin lying around thats the first thing they ask for!
LOVE the sound of your soup, thats going on the to-make list for sure

Linda said...

Hi Fiona, our fire's been going over the last couple of days. Would you believe it! It's rained here nonstop for two and a half days! First time in years. Glad you're enjoying the cooler weather.

Eeew Rabidlittlehippy, I hate rice pudding! Was served it regularly by my mother and never took to it!

Sue, we love pumpkin soup too. In fact that was today's lunch. Isn't it great when kids are enthusiastic about their food!

Bridget Coyne said...

Sounds lovely Linda :) My fav is zucchini pesto - sooo easy. Chop up lots of zucchini, add to pot with a bit of oil, as much garlic as you like and tiny amount of veg/chick stock (the zucc goes very liquidy, so add more later if needed) . Cook for 10 mins then blend with heaps of basil and some salt & pepper. So quick & amazing! Never know it was zucchini. A bit of sour cream on top makes it perfect.
X

Linda said...

Bridget, your soup sounds wonderful! Trouble is I've picked the last of my zucchini. I hope I remember about this post next summer because I really want to try this one. Love quick and easy soups!