Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Dishwashing Powder

I haven't made dishwasher powder for the last couple of years because our local supermarkets haven't been stocking borax.

Last week I noticed Borax on the shelves again, so snapped it up and made my powder. 

                                         

It couldn't be easier.  Put into a jar -      
  • 1/2 cup borax
  • 1/2 cup bi-carb soda (baking soda)
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon citric acid
I use 15 drops of lemon essential oil which I drop onto the powder making sure that the drops land separately so the the powder doesn't clump together.  Put the lid on and give the jar a good shake.  There you have it!

I love using this powder.  After reading the information on commercial packets regarding poisoning, I figure that while still poisonous, this is much safer.  Mum saved some of those little scoops that come in coffee, so I've popped one of them in the jar and use a scoop per load.                                                    

5 comments:

Bruise Mouse said...

How does this recipe clean glass? I have tried a few homemade recipes but find, that even putting vinegar in the rinse, my glasses go cloudy.
I would love to know about this recipe with the citric acid.

Linda said...

Hi Bruise Mouse, I don't find my glasses go cloudy but I know what you mean. I've had trouble with that before. I have recently bought a really good dishwasher so I don't know if it's the dishwasher, the powder or the fact that I wash them by hand from time to time but my glasses are fine. If you do use the recipe, please let me know how you find it.

Julie said...

I've been making dishwasher powder for a couple of months now, I've so been meaning to do a post on it, I hope you don't mind if I still do (you know, like stealing your thunder!).

I've been reading a few of yr posts, its so nice to find people that 'think the same'.

:)

Linda said...

Hi Julie, I think it would be great if you did a post as well. The more people who make their own products, the better! We save so much in packaging and resources when we make our own stuff.

rebekah @ justfordaisy said...

This is great I'll have to give it a try. I make my own laundry liquid but hadn't thought to change what I do with the dishwasher. Thanks for sharing!