Monday, 3 October 2011

Fizzy Rhubarb

This is a recipe for a lovely fizzy, pink drink.  Miss Eight loves to make this drink because it is so easy!
We are making a half batch because we didn't have enough rhubarb in the garden this time.  I will give you instructions on how to make a full batch.

Wash a kilo of rhubarb,


Chop off the ends.



                                            Cut into pieces.

Measure one kilo of sugar.



                                            Chop one and a half lemons into quarters. 

                                        

Put these ingredients into a bucket - we bought a stainless steel bucket especially for food purposes.
I know I used more lemon than I told you, but they were very small!

Add one cup of white wine vinegar and five litres of tap water.


Stir well!


                                                                                  Cover with a tea towel.

                                        
                                          
Leave for two days.

After two days strain into a large jug and pour into sterilised bottles.



In two weeks the rhubarb should be fizzy and ready to drink!



Isn't it pretty and pink?  I hope you enjoy this drink as much as we do!

11 comments:

Evi said...

You've been posting up a storm these last few days and I keep missing them! I'm going to be the first to comment on this one though!
This drink sounds like my lot would love it - poor things are very deprived as we have never bought fizzy drinks for them...... they think kombucha is the ants pants and they'll love this!!

Linda said...

What a timely comment on the plantain ointment. I had forgotten to apply it to my daughter tonight, but seeing as I am sitting at my computer and got a reminder...... Luckily she is still awake and reading.

You're braver than me with the kombucha. I started making it, but was too scared to give it to the kids. We have a bit of history though. We nearly lost our little boy to a bacteria a couple of years ago and it makes you a bit paranoid! You'll love the fizzy rhubarb, it is so pretty and pink! We like to have it on Christmas day because it looks so special!

Rachel said...

Thank you so much for posting the recipe to this - can't wait to try it! Love your daughters apron too. :o)

Kim said...

Wow, I have never heard of this cordial before. I may have to plant some rhubarb now! A very informative post.

Christine said...

Thankyou for sharing this recipe..I'll be saving it if you don't mind. I love a good rhubarb crumble but the small people don't..this could be a nice treat for them. :)

I guess you use plastic drink bottles? I wonder if lemonade could be made the same way....?

Linda said...

If any of you decide to make the fizzy rhubarb let me know what you think of it. I'd love to know! Hi to you Christine, yes I often use PET bottles because they expand well, but they are hard to come by because we don't use soft drink. This time I'm using the swing top glass bottles we bought at the op shop. And........ I should have warned you all in the post, they can get VERY fizzy so I hope my glass bottle don't explode!

kimba said...

WOW... I think i am going to have to give this a try! last year while ripping out plants my partner 10 yr old told me that she hopes i was not going to pull out the rhubarb plant... I turned in surprise and said" what rhurbarb plant?" pointing to this big plant which i had always thought was a huge weed with large leaves! LOL

So yeah i have home grown rhurbarb which i did not plant! surprise.. only pulled some out of the ground just last night planning on giving it to my parents!

Now i think i shall be keeping it!!!!

Thankyou for such a timely post!

Linda said...

Hi Kimba, Ooops! I don't know what I did there. I accidently posted my comment by email. Sorry!

nellymary said...

Hi Linda, I love your fizzy rhubarb. We know it as Rhubarb Champagne though....I've even blogged about ours over on my blog....
http://justlikemynanmade.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/rhubarb-champagne-part-two.html
A good tip if you want to store it longer would be to bottle it in proper Champagne bottles...they hold the pressure of the high carbonation from the natural fermentation,....but by that time it will also be alcoholic.

Linda said...

Hi Nelly Mary,Thank you for telling me about the rhubarb champagne! I made up a batch today and if I can stop the kids from drinking it for long enough, I'll put some aside. I can't wait to try my champagne!

Peascod said...

I know this is an old post, but I just came across it trying to find new rhubarb recipes. Do you think you could use this same recipe and substitute different fruit? Thanks.