Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Guinea Fowl

Twice now, one of my three guinea fowl has disappeared for a couple of weeks and then returned.  We figured it must be a hen and probably sitting on a nest.  Both times I was very disappointed that no little babies came back with her.

I have heard that guinea fowl don't make very good mothers.  Last week she reappeared after one of her absences and a few days later we found her nest. 


 The eggs looks like they have been interferred with, rather than hatched.  I think she has jumped off the nest too early and then something has come along and eaten the eggs.  I am trying to encourage them to eat near a spare cage, in the hopes she lays in there and I can keep an eye on her.

I would love to have little babies running around!

6 comments:

purplepear said...

I have very little experience with guinea fowl and wish you luck.

Energiser Bunny said...

I have a friend who had guinea fowl and understand that they can wander if they weren't with you from an early age. Is that true of yours? I'd like to think about getting some but would love to hear about other people's experience....

Linn said...

Sorry to hear that. I agree little babies running around are soooo cute and the kids would love to see them.

Linda said...

Kate, I thoroughly recommend them although they are a bit noisy. They are not destructive in the garden and I love watching them search for food.

Energiser Bunny, We have had ours since an early age, but they do wander a long way. If we didn't feed them regularly, I'm sure we would lose them!

Linn, I'm going to keep encouraging them to nest closer to us. I'm determined to see little babies!

Kim said...

Linda , next time you are at the feedstore (farmer's warehouse or whatever you have down your way) , ask if they have any plastic eggs. Try putting some in the nest (or even a couple of guinea fowl eggs you have collected ) . I know that encourages the bantams to 'sit' .

Linda said...

Thanks Kim, I will give that a try!