Monday, 5 March 2012

Sustainable - An Art Smock and Resusable Lunch Order Envelopes

Buddy Boy has art this morning.  On the weekend I finally got around to making his smock so that he wouldn't have to borrow one again.  Hubby had a workshirt with an old company name on it, so obviously couldn't wear it any more.  How easy it was to transform it into an art smock!  It even came with a prefabricated pocket that just needed to be repositioned!

Ohhh Muuum!  Do I have to stand and have my photo taken AGAIN!  Sick of this blogging thing!

I feel pretty good about making the smock from un unused shirt.  I'm not an appliquer but had a shot at it using scraps cut from op shopped fabric.   Nothing was purchased except the cotton to sew with.

I have also been having a dilema regarding lunch orders.  While I expect my children to accept that our family do some things differently from many others, I don't want them to feel they are missing out.  I think that Belle is quite proud to know that her lunch NEVER comes out of a wrapper!  She and Buddy Boy take sandwiches, home baked treats and fruit. 

Our tiny school offers lunch orders on Fridays.  Most of the children take part so I usually place orders for my kids.  I recently decided I  didn't want to waste envelopes each time they placed an order.  I tried to think of other solutions but could only think of tying the money in a hanky, which wouldn't have worked well.  I would have to place the scrap paper with their order in the hanky as well.  It also would have seemed 'weird' to some of the other children (and maybe the parents).

Sometimes I am a slow thinker, because when the answer came to me it was so simple.  A reusable envelope!


I made an envelope from calico and I made a separate little money pouch so the coins won't fall out.  I will put this in the envelope with the order written on a piece of scrap paper.  I think this will work!



10 comments:

dixiebelle said...

And the lunch order comes to them in the calico envelope? What a great idea!

Very clever with the smock too... I have a half-finished smock I was making from an old men's business shirt for when Miss M started school... 2 years ago! Turns out, the school provided smocks anyway.

Linda said...

No Dixiebelle, the envelope is a little larger than business size. Our school delivers the lunches through a little window from the kitchen into the multipurpose room, where they sit a eat their lunch. They get it on a plate (I hope they're reusable).

What a bonus to have the school providing smocks! Now you'll have to come up with a different use for your unfinished smock!!!

Lilian said...

What an awesome idea! I'm going to trial this in our canteen for my daughter.

Linda said...

Hi Lilian, Let me know how it goes. My eight year old loved hers and couldn't wait to show her Dad. She loves being sustainable as long as I can come up with 'nice' solutions.

rebekah @ justfordaisy said...

What a fabulous idea! As a teacher I love this idea! Definitely a sustainable solution for ordering lunches. Found you via Rhonda's site, now following along. Looking forward to having a better look around - please come say hi at Just For Daisy! x

Linda said...

Hi Rebekah and a big welcome! I'm glad you like my idea and very happy to meet you. Off to visit at your place now!

tylasnan said...

Oh Linda, the look on Buddy Boy's face just cracks me up! Having raised five children and with lots of grandchildren have seen that look before. Have seen your blog a few times and have just come from Just Like My Nan Made.After that look there is nothing for it, just have to become a follower!
Cheers, Karen near Gympie.

Linda said...

Hi Tylasnan, Welcome, It's nice to have you following along! I know - kids are priceless, aren't they? Many moments can be frustrating while parenting but it's never boring!!! And the smiles and cuddles are wonderful.

Linn said...

I love that idea of the reusable calico envelope and you are a very clever lady to make that smock! I understand that kids don't want to be too different to other kids but sometimes it only takes one family to change the others to become more conscious of their daily impact on our Earth. Well done Linda!

Linda said...

Thank you Linn. And wouldn't it be lovely if others became enthusiastic after seeing our ideas! Still, my kids have been using homemade sandwich wraps for ages and no-one at the school has shown much interest. If I had more time I would make them for our farmers market. I think they're great!