Saturday, 19 May 2012

Craft in Common

I told you all I was going to a special spinning day this week.  Well, it wasn't quite right.  I thought all the groups that were coming to the hall were other spinners and weavers.

Judging from all the craft displayed, there were all sorts of craft groups.  This day is an annual get together that used to be held at a lady's house but outgrew itself.  Now it is held in a hall, every body brings morning tea to share and their own lunch.

Show and tell items are placed on the stage and around the room and later in the morning someone tells us about each piece.

I never realised there could be crochet like this..........

Or this.......................

and the quilts were beautiful!


There was a baby in attendance and I was delighted to see that nearly everything he had with him was hand knitted!  Toys, blanket, socks......


The day was well attended and groups came from over a hundred kilometres away!  There was a five dollar entry fee and the money raised is donated to local charity.



People sat and chatted while knitting, sewing etc.  They brought along unwanted material, books and other craft items to place in a room.  People then rummaged through and took home anything they wanted.


I loved being involved in this day.  It was put together effortlessly, provided friendship, learning, sharing, a sense of community, creativity, food and raised money for charity to boot!  Amazing!  

6 comments:

Dani said...

Sounds lovely - must've been a lovely day :)

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

What a lovely day out even if it wasn't quite what you expected.

purplepear said...

What a great day out.Looks like so much fun.

Christine said...

*gasp!* What a fabulous day!! I just clicked on the pics to enlarge them and those crochet flowers are gorgeous! And the rose blanket..just stunning! How lucky are you to go to such an event, I'm positively green with envy. x

Abbeysmum said...

happy to see you had a wonderful day, you will be on a" happy buzz" for days.

Linda said...

Hi Dani, It was a great day and I loved every minute!

Fiona, I think the day was even better because there was so much variety.

Thanks Kate, I did have fun. I love group activities.

Hi Christine, I thought this would be up your alley! I'll send you an email prior to the event next year in case your group are interested.

Hi Abbeysmum, Yes I will be on a happy buzz. It doesn't take much to warm the soul, does it?!