Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Barley Water

I recently made a lovely, warming winter soup of vegetables and lamb shanks.  While adding some barley, I noticed a recipe for barley water on the packet so I gave it a try.

It was incredibly easy and the kids love it!

A couple of days ago Buddy Boy was sick.  He had a cold and was running a high temperature.  We popped him in our bed to monitor him.  As soon as his fever broke I tried to put him back to his bed so that we could get a good nights sleep but as soon as we lifted him upright he began to vomit!  Poor boy!


Throughout all of this, I gave him barley water to drink.  It was perfect!  Plenty of flavour so that he wanted to drink it during his fever and then between bouts of vomiting.  It had sugar to give him some energy but unlike store bought lemonade (which I used to give sick kids years back) it had goodness as well.  If you google barley water you will find many people swear by its health benefits and it is nutritious as well.


I am very happy to have heaps of lemons of the tree at the moment and I love using them.  So....... the recipe on the back of my McKenzie's Pearl Barley (free plug for them) -

Barley Water

1/2 cup barley
10 cups water
grated rind of 1 medium lemon
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar

Rinse the barley well, cover with cold water and bring to the boil.  Drain, place into saucepan with lemon rind and water.  Cook slowly for 1 hour.  Add the lemon juice and sugar and stir until sugar has dissolved - then strain and chill. 

How easy is that?!


 It also says on the packet that the total preparation time is 45-55 minutes.  Quite miraculous considering it tells you to cook slowly for 1 hour in the middle step!!!

I hope the chookies like lemon flavoured barley!



7 comments:

Busy mum of 3 said...

OOHHH Wonderful, I think I'm going to try that one. My 7 year old has been very very sick over the weekend too with the flu, we set up a bed on the floor next to our's to watch him, and just as well we did, he was so feverish he had delerium and started hallucinating, he was trying to pick up bugs off his pillow ( I can assure you there were no bugs!) and in between mumbled inconherent sounds he wanted to know how on earth he was going to get "under there" (our bed). It was quite scary, I've never had a child so sick from a virus before.
I've sent him to school today, I hope he is ok.

Glad your little man is feeling better.

Abbeysmum said...

Sorry to hear Buddy was so sick and hope he is much better by now.

I have been reading a blog called "Zach on board" and he is being home schooled, some of the activities with nature and craft may be interesting for your 2 young ones,the family don't have a big budget or heaps of bought "stuff" so they are living eco friendly too.
Hope you enjoy and get some good ideas :)

farmer_liz said...

hope he's feeling better now! I have been enjoying various fermented beverages lately, and when you mentioned barley water I wondered if it could be fermented too, quick google and I discover rejuvelac - fermented grain soaking water, will add that to the list of things to try! I also wondered if you could use honey instead of sugar to increase the nutritional and healing value even further....

Crystal said...

I think I am going to have to give this a try. I always thought barley water was really terrible but this recipe makes it sound quite nice. Might even be able to get my boys to drink it. Thanks for sharing.

Linda said...

Hi Busy Mum, It's scary when they're sick, isn't it? How frightening to have him hallucinate! I hope he is better now.

Hi Abbeysmum, He is amazingly better. I don't know how much to attribute to the barley water, but he jumped up in the morning like nothing had ever happened. I, on the other hand, dragged my self through the day in a sleep deprived fog!

Farmer Liz, I should have thought of honey! I will make the next batch with honey and see if they will drink it (before the next illness). Do you know I keep bees?!!

Hi Crystal, I'm glad to hear you are going to try it. My kids say it tastes just like lemon cordial. Just make sure you stir it before you pour it. I'm sure your boys will like it!

Christine said...

This is great, thanks Linda. We use barley but I'd thrown out the packet with instructions! And 2 out of three here are sniffly and miserable so will be giving this a go. ;)

Linda said...

Hi Christine, I hope you enjoy it! I don't know that it is particularly a cure for colds, but seeing as I wanted to hydrate Buddy Boy, it was perfect. I'm sure your girls will love it regardless.