Thursday, 27 September 2012

Quick and Easy Pastry

*Amendment - Ooops!  A small but very important amendment.  I gave the quantity of this recipe as making the top and bottom of a pie.  I was confused.  Sometimes I make a single quantity and at other times double the recipe.  The correct information is that the recipe below makes enough for one layer of pastry only.  If you need a top and bottom layer you will need to double the recipe.*

Recently I decided to buy frozen pastry sheets.  I was feeling tired and thought I would give myself a break.  Never again!  First there was the price, then there was the pastry itself.  It was expensive and horrible.  It had no flavour and it was gooey and tacky.  I would like to share my recipe with any of you out there that are still suffering through the plastic stuff.

I love my pastry.  It honestly is so quick that I wonder why I thought I needed to buy it.  I make it in my food processor.  The following photos are of a double batch because I often make double and freeze some.

Shortcrust Pastry

2 cups flour 
(I usually use wholemeal but sometimes use plain white flour)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
125g butter
1/4 cup water approximately

Put the flour and salt into the food processor without sifting and pulse a few times to 'sift'.  Cut the butter into cubes and pop in with the flour.

Pulse over and over until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.  Don't run the machine continuously or you'll just mix it all together instead of rubbing the butter in.


Add most of the water and run on high until the mixture comes together.  Add more water if it's too dry.  I find when I use wholemeal flour I often need twice the amount of water, but all flour varies as to how much it needs, so just add a little at a time.

Take the mixture out of the processor and work it gently in your hands until it's smooth.  This take a few seconds.  Wrap it in greaseproof paper and refrigerate for at least half an hour before rolling it.

How easy is that?!  It takes just a couple of minutes.  So much nicer than the supermarket stuff and no packaging!

8 comments:

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

Thanks for sharing Linda. I don't make pastry very often but it will be great to have an easy recipe

purplepear said...

I don't make pastry very often but you make it sound so easy.

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

I always thought this would be hard to make, inspiring!

Linda said...

Well, Fiona, Kate and Kirsty! I imagined all of you would already make your own pastry. Yes it is easy! Very.

I'm thinking I might post on blind baking it today, in case people don't know how to do that part.

Kim said...

Thank you for this. I am struggling with making gluten free pastry for our son at the moment ...then handling makes the pastry just fall apart. I am going to try your food processor recipe and see how I go.

Sarah @ Gladys in the Garden.blogspot.com said...

Thank you thank you thank you.
I have such little success with pastry. I don't mind trying this one. x

Busy mum of 3 said...

I make my own shortcrust pastry too, I've often been tempted to buy the shop stuff when I'm feeling lazy, but after reading your post, I don't think I will. Thanks for the tip on freezing it, I had never thought of doing that, that would make it so much easier on a busy night.

Linda said...

Gee Kim, I can't imagine how hard it must be to have to come up with gluten free recipes all the time. I hope this recipe works for you. Let me know how you go.

Hi Sarah, I hope you find it a good recipe. It's a lovely flavour.

Hi Busy Mum, No don't make the same mistake I did. The grass is not greener on the other side!!! We ARE the green side, remember. Ha ha. If you do freeze it, you need to get it out the day before to allow it to thaw in the fridge. Because it's not in a flat sheet it takes a while.