Thursday, 13 June 2013

Rally for Renewables

Do you live near Canberra?  Can you get there next Tuesday?  Oh how I wish I could pull the kids out of school and head off for a trip away!

If only I weren't feeling so pathetic at the moment.  I reckon with more oomph and energy I'd probably do it.

I've just received an email from Friends of the Earth to tell me about a rally being held to support renewable energy.  They say bring banners and placards....

 What: Rally for Renewables.
Where: Garema Place, Canberra.
When: 12 noon, Tuesday 18 June.
 
It's being organised on this day because the Liberals are holding an anti-renewable rally in Canberra on this day.  I first read about it here.  Shocking, isn't it?
 
Apparently they want to scrap the renewable energy target.  YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!  Do you know how many people fought to have that target put in place?!  We NEED renewable energy and we need it YESTERDAY!!!
 
If you've never been to a rally and figure you're not 'the type' don't be scared.  You'll be surprised how easy it is.  When you first turn up people will probably be milling around uncertainly, just like you.  Together you will become more comfortable and by the end of the rally, you'll probably leave on a high because you stood up for something you believed in.
 
I had never attended a rally in my  ??   years.  *damn computer won't type my age ;-) must be something wrong with it*  Then last year I attended the National Disability Insurance Rally because I believed so strongly that we needed change.  A couple of weeks ago I attended the March Against Monsanto for the same reasons.  I strongly believe we need food security and don't feel GMO's have a place in our food system.
 
Neither of these rallies were scary and it felt empowering to be a part of them.  So if you can, please attend your own behalf and on behalf of myself and all the other people that live too far away.  Let's show our politicians that we really want renewable energy!
 
Who knows?  You may see me there yet!  Maybe I'll be feeling really fit and well and in need of a trip up the highway by Tuesday!

4 comments:

purplepear said...

Can't believe it. Are they for real. I'm with you just a bit too far for me to get there. It is unbelievable!!!! What will it take. The country with the most sun and we're lagging behind. So cranky!!

Linda said...

Kate, I really wish I could go. Doesn't look like any of my readers are in Canberra. I would hate for the rally to be poorly attended because they'll choose to believe no one cares and WE DO!!!

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

What is with these crazy people? Are they living in the dark ages. We should make it mandatory for all new buildings to be carbon neutral.

Linda said...

Sadly Fiona a lot of these people have financial interests in mining and it's as simple as that!

Very poor!