Sunday, 16 June 2013

Wonderful Winter Weekend!

What a great day we had today.  Hubby's been working a lot lately and it's been lovely to have a whole day  together!

Look at these two at the bottom of the garden!
Pumpkin requested her own veggie garden with broccoli, carrot and cauliflower..
she concentrated soooo hard and did it all by herself.  Buddy Boy's proud too because he filled this bed with compost over the last week.  Every night after school he'd head out the back to use his barrow and shovel.  Good job kids!
This is my existing rhubarb patch which I divided today...
to make a new bed.  I don't think you can ever have too much rhubarb!
I mulched around my onions at long last!
Hubby did some more work in the new orchard.  He spread compost and I mulched with straw.
Then, in the fading light, we sorted out the wood for the week.  Hubby used the chainsaw to cut it.....
while I stacked it near the house.
It's busy work keeping warm in winter but I love the cosiness.
I whipped up an easy dinner of garden veggies and our own eggs in the form of Spanish omelettes.
It was a wonderful and productive family day.  Isn't it funny how some days you can achieve so much without it feeling like work, yet other days you can work all day and get nothing done?!

6 comments:

Lynda D said...

Love the background view from your orchard area. Good Job Kids. I wish i had your wood stove.

Lynn said...

Can't think of a better way to spend a weekend! The garden is looking great Linda and your right you can't have enough rhubarb!

Busy mum of 3 said...

Do you know what variety of rhubarb that is? My rhubarb isn't so ruby red like yours.

The future is in good hands with kids like yours.

I love seeing the orchard as it progresses, more of that please :)

purplepear said...

So lovely to see young children taking to gardening the way yours have. I love it how sometimes a day is just so productive but and so much fun.

Christine said...

Such a nice weekend! I love them when they are like these..productive and happy. And well done to your kiddos on getting out in the garden!

It's all about the wood here too..it is my dream to one day have a wood shed to stack it in! :)

Linda said...

Hi Lynda, sadly just a heater. I'd kill for a wood stove! Yes, I like our views.

Lynn, we loved our weekend. The way life should be!

Busy Mum, I'm afraid I don't know. Someone had rhubarb and divided it for me. I love the colour! My rhubarb fizzy is sooo pink! As for the orchard, I'll be posting more but be warned, progress will probably be slow. We have one day a week to work on major projects atm and other things keep getting in the way!

Kate, We had so much fun and I love how enthusiastic my kids are! Pumpkin knew exactly what she wanted to plant and talked all the while about how she couldn't wait to eat her veggies!!!!

Yes Christine! A wood shed! What a lovely dream. I take it you noticed our wood is just stacked in the weather. Isn't it awful when the wood is dripping wet when you bring it inside?