Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Slow Living Diary May 2013

We had a good but busy May with much too much time spent away from the house.  Buddy Boy has just recovered from a cold and he has shared it with me.  I don't feel well today so it is nice to sit and reflect over the month past.  Whenever I get the chance I like to join in with Christine from Slow Living Essentials for our monthly run down of achievements in the different categories.  Pop over and have a look at what others have been up to.

Nourish

Soups are certainly back on the menu with the cold weather.  Soups with heaps of veggies and some nice meat.  I make the regular soup with lamb shanks and another with mince, peas and zucchini.  I've been replacing the zucchini with kale though, because zucchinis are out of season.  I've also been making sour dough but this month I realised how easy it was to create my own sultana bread!  I just kneaded in a teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg with some sultanas.  It's yummy.  My zucchini slice has became kale and carrot slice for the winter because that's what's in the garden.

Prepare

Some chicken stock went into the freezer.  We've also been preparing a paddock for some fruit trees.  We'd like to extend our orchard but want to try a more protected spot than the existing orchard.  We've been meaning to try and improve this particular paddock for ages anyway so hopefully we'll kill two birds with one stone - improve the soil and have more fruit.  We ordered the trees from Yalca and I hope they grow well!  We've laid rocks and branches along the contour line and I've since barrowed down some manure.  I still need to get some straw on top.  I'd better hurry because the trees will be here soon and I want the soil to have improved before we plant.
Reduce

I've been trying to declutter but seem to be getting nowhere fast!  It's amazing how many things you can take to the op shop with out seeming to make a dent in the stuff in the house!

Green

I've been loving my new cup that I was give on Mother's Day!  The cup has a little strainer that you sit in the top, add herbs, pour in the water and pop the lid on to brew.  Mum and Dad have a good source of herbal tea and got me a packet.  It's pretty enough to mistake for a pot pourri! 
Grow

The brassicas are doing well.  The garlic is funny this year though.  It normally all grows at the same rate but this year some bulbs are much further ahead than others.  I don't know why!  We have rhubarb, I've picked the last of the quinces and I've put in some spinach and lettuce.  The broad beans are coming up and looking healthy.  I like this time of year much better than the summer.  The poor garden can take a sigh of relief at last!
Create

I'm knitting a jumper for Buddy Boy.  I hope I finish it before the end of winter!  Luckily I have no faith in myself, so I'm knitting it a size too big.

Discover

Plodding through Barbara Kingsolver's book, Animal, Vegetable, Mineral, and loving it!  I keep wishing it was my own copy so I could mark the points that interest me.  It has so many facts about healthy food, problems with commercial food sales, facts and statistics of all sorts!  And it's a lovely story of a family's adventure as they aim to eat completely ethically!

Enhance

Our big one for May was the March Against Monsanto.  I went to Melbourne with the kids to take part.  If you want to know more about why so many people protested (over 2 million world wide) I wrote a post about it here.
Enjoy

My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary!  It was a lovely occasion with my father even making a romantic gesture during his speech.  He presented my mum with a new wedding ring to wear with the existing ones.  We spent the night there and I got to enjoy waking up at my parents house on Mother's Day.  (Though Buddy Boy decided to organise the stuff from my basket and I couldn't find Mum's present for a while!) 

I'm also loving the weather and the snuggly fire.

I hope your May was lovely!

6 comments:

kiwirachfindinghome said...

i really enjoyed Animal, Vegetable, Mineral as well, along with a book by a woman based in Queensland named Linda Cockburn (i think!). found both very inspirational when i was first getting excited about this more simpler way of life.

cityhippyfarmgirl.com said...

I loved that book too. I should get my own copy as I would love to read it again

Christine said...

Oh wow - you marched against Monsanto? I am totally impressed and wished I had known about it to get there too.

Loved reading about your month, Linda, we are on the same page when it comes to knitting things a size bigger ;)

city garden country garden said...

My garlic is growing at different rates too, but that's because the rabbits have eaten some of it almost down to nothing!
I like your idea of having some standard favourite recipes that just change with the current season's ingredients.

Linda said...

Thanks Kiwirach, I'll have to look for Linda Cockburn's book when I finish this one. It's great to read books by people with something worthwhile to tell us about!

City Hippy, Have you read any of her other books? I'm wondering if they are similar. I must look into it.

I felt good taking part Christine! I walked along on a high thinking, "Everyone of these people probably shops at farmer's markets, locally, ethically etc." What a great thought! The tide is turning.

Cgcg, Isn't gardening frustrating! Something ate all my carrots after I managed to get them to germinate. And as for the recipes, I'm amazed at how easy it is to alter them once you get into the mindset.

Kim said...

What a lovely slow living post. I was so impressed with your march against Monsanto. I wanted to see more of it in the media ,but it was down played compared to how many people were marching and cared about the issue.