Monday, 16 September 2013

A productive weekend

Friday saw a delivery of fertiliser that should last us AGES!  Apparently the delivery was a bit....
 
SCARY...
BUT EXCITING....
AND JUST PLAIN FUN!!!
IT'S NOT OFTEN THAT A TRUCK COMES TO OUR PLACE!
We had a great weekend end full of productive activity.  We gardened madly and achieved heaps. I transplanted the tomatoes that we grew from seed, planted grape cuttings gifted by a friend, took lavender cuttings, spread some compost, planted a mulberry tree and organised the clumps of young onions that had germinated into rows.
 
We also came up with a great new recipe.  I have lots of puffed rice at the moment so I googled for recipes for a snack bar I could make.  They all had ingredients that I don't have at the moment.  Some called for honey (I'm out of honey) and others for marshmallows which is not something I would often have.
 
So this is what we came up with:-
 
Puffed Rice Bars
 
4 cups wholemeal puffed rice (addendum - so sorry, I originally wrote 3 cups but it should be 4)
125g melted butter
1/4 cup malt extract (you know, the thick liquid one)
100g white chocolate, melted
 
I put the malt in with the butter to soften it.  Then I mixed all ingredients in a bowl and spread them in a lamington tin lined with baking paper.  They were popped in the fridge while I headed back out to the garden.  When I came in they were ready!
So easy and so yummy!
 
Hooray for great weekends!!



3 comments:

Sharon said...

They look delicious , I will be trying this recipe.x

Krista said...

I have some puffed buckwheat that I wanted to make snack bars out of, and your recipe inspired me. :-) Thankfully tomorrow is grocery day so I can stock up on the things I need. :-) I love the looks on your boys face. He's SO expressive! :-)

Linda said...

Let me know what you think Sharon. It's such an easy recipe.

Krista, I hope you didn't make them before I fixed the mistake in the ingredients. And yes, Buddy Boy was pretty excited to see a truck at his own home!