Friday, 29 November 2013

A cook up


Rosie's pregnant. Very pregnant. She's thirty seven weeks and four days.  I only saw her a couple of weeks ago but I'm amazed at how much her tummy has grown in that short time!

I've come to visit her for a big cook up.  She wants to feel organised before she takes on the challenges of being a parent.  I remember that feeling well.  So I offered to come and cook some meals with her.  My eldest, Lou Lou, kindly offered to have the young ones so that I could be available.
Rosie and her partner are renting an old, simple but comfortable home.  Their oven doesn't work so we decided on stove top meals, wrote our list and went shopping for the ingredients.
It's amazing what you can achieve with no little ones to supervise.   We've cooked up spaghetti bolognaise, chilli con carne, chicken paprika and some chow mein.  Somehow it was easy because we were working side by side and enjoying each others company.
We've cooked two and a half to three weeks worth of meals!  The photo below shows the meals ready for freezing and the last pot with chow mein cooking in the background.
I've never done a big cook up like this myself but I feel inspired now.  I would love to have a freezer full of pre-prepared meals of the yummy, cooked-from-scratch, homemade kind!!  

Now the meals are done, the kitchen's clean with the dishes put away.  We're ready.  And now we wait.  
It won't be long until we meet this new little person.  Rosie's at the exciting last stage of pregnancy. The time when there are twinges.. tightenings of the tummy that make you wonder......

9 comments:

purplepear said...

such a great idea. I'm thinking of doing the same with Rhonnie a little closer to her time. A very exciting time these last few weeks.

Busy mum of 3 said...

Eeek, how exciting!

Linda said...

Kate, Ronnie would love it and there's a real connectedness in helping prepare for the baby. I'm glad I was able to do this trip.

Busy mum, it's very exciting. I keep hoping she'll go into labour while I'm here!

Dani said...

What a lovely thought - and so typical of the person that I have come to know through your blog :)

And just imagine how much ekectricity has been saved through not having to cook those individual meals. Cooking in bulj cannot have taken that much extra power... Well done!

angela said...

What an exciting time for you. I have in the past cooked double what we need and frozen half. Thwt way when I'm having a bad day health wise I have a meal ready in the freezer for no extra work. It has saved me countless times. Good luck with th delivery, look forward to meeting the little one in bogland

Linda said...

I know Dani! It makes so much sense to cook in bulk. Because they are only a small family each meal will have cost just a fraction of the normal cooking costs. Isn't it funny that it seemed easy to help her but now that I'm home I haven't had time to do a cook up for us.

Thanks Angela! That's a good idea of yours to store away meals for bad days. I do a double cook from time to time but usually don't keep it in the freezer long coz I'm always tempted to use it straight away. That's why I'd like to have a regular routine where I cook in bulk. I'm not organised enough though!

Evi said...

Oh congrats, Linda!! Another grand-baby!! I love your idea of a shared cook up and will be mentioning it to my girl, should she have another one. Such a special time those last few weeks of being pregnant, knowing that soon there'll be another little person in your life. Special for both of you!
Now that I"m making a concerted effort to blog and visit my fave blogs, I'll be keeping a sharp eye out for your exciting news!!

Linda said...

Thanks Evi! Lovely to hear from you. Yes it is very exciting, I'm just waiting for the phone call. And yes, there's something lovely about doing something productive together.

storage in Darlinghurst said...

What I needed was a storage facility that will made me feel that my stuff will be secure. What I got was a clean and well-run facility, that sense of security, also a friendly staff to make my comings and goings a pleasant experience.