Thursday, 16 January 2014

Honey Harvest

Last week I robbed my hive.  It was as full as it could possibly be.

I am lucky to have a very experienced mentor.  I've found that bee keepers love to share their knowledge.  In my case, my friend actually rings me when the weather is suitable and asks if he can come out and check my hive with me.

This time we took another friend - a potential bee keeper.  In our flattering no-bee-is-ever-going-to-sting-me attire, we set off for the hive.
 Last year I was unable to rob the hive because there was so little honey.  This year, however, the bees have been busy making lots and lots of honey!
 Have a look at the hive after the bees have been disturbed!  It looks like a scene from a horror movie!  (was it Stephen King?)
 We novices were pretty excited to bring back eight full frames!  I'm glad I had some help because the frames were too heavy for me to carry alone.


 It was lovely to watch the honey pouring from the extractor.  The smell of the honey filled the house and brought the children running to the kitchen.
 YUMMY!!



 My hive was very old when I got it.  I need to replace my bottom box which is rotting.  I will do it very shortly.  I'm glad our friend is keen to get his own bees.  He enjoyed our hive robbing experience and will help me with the bottom box.  It's nice to have someone to work with as I learn my way around bee-keeping.

I just LOVE honey!!!

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh how exciting, I love honey too.
Im really hoping to get into bee keeping this year. xx

purplepear said...

It such an exciting time when you rob a hive. Will there be honey in there? And then you open the lid and it's so full. We are way behind in robbing our hives and we're out of honey. We rob the hives on a flower day using the astrological calendar. The last few times the flower days have not been suitable due to the weather but soon, very soon we must do it. Love the look!

Amber said...

Wow, so exciting - your very own honey! The kids' faces say it all! I'm hoping we might be able to harvest our honey for the first time this year too - it's been a way since we peeked in the hive but it's smelling promising!

Cheryl said...

Wow, your very own raw honey!
That's fantastic!
I don't have to preach to you about the health benefits of raw honey, I'm wishing I was your neighbour!

Try linking to my blog now, I had the privacy settings set for other bloggers only, you should have been able to get through, but maybe not hey. I was trying to block out spammers and computer generated "trawlers".

Rambling Tart said...

How fun and exciting!!! I would love to do this one day. :-)

eenvoudigerleven said...

I can almost smell it!! And such excitement on the childrens' faces!

Well done!

Roots and Seeds said...

Great post and good piccies. I am a new beekeeper too and must look at my hives VERY soon. There's a glorious honey smell every time I walk past so I'm guessing there's a good harvest to be had.

Linda said...

Hi Sharon, I really encourage you to have a try. It's very exciting and a fascinating interest.

Yes Kate, it's great. I would never have thought about harvesting honey on a flower day. I wouldn't have made the connection but I'm going to give that a try if I can tie in a flower day, a sunny day and a babysitter. Lol!

Oh you have bees Amber?! I liked you comment about the kids faces. I have a second look at the photos and yes, the look pretty happy! Good luck with your harvest!

Cheryl, I love that something so yummy is good for my kids. Buddy boy in particular loves his honey on porridge!

Hi Rambling Tart, it really IS exciting! The first couple of times I shook like a leaf, I was so excited and scared I would get stung!

Eenvoudigerleven, the smell in the house is incredible. It seems almost magical to harvest such a sweet smelling and tasting nectar from the beautiful, hardworking bees!

Roots and seeds, all these bee keepers out there! Sounds like you have more than one hive. I would like another one soon. Good luck with the harvest!

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

My dad kept bees when I was a kid and I remember that lovely smell. It is something I would like to do when we move to NZ. I think he still has his extractor and some boxes in the shed so I am looking forward to that.

rabidlittlehippy said...

Bees are on my list... One day. I want to get a few other things in place (including my orchard) before bringing something else into the mix.Fortunately there is a lovely raw honey seller at our farmers market whom we keep in business. :)

peggy said...

Perhaps you will see this comment Linda, Our beekeeper friend Bill had 130 bee hives - he sells the most beautiful (raw) honey. But with the drought the flood another drought and another flood and now a drought again all this in 2 1/2 years - there was very little in the way of blossoms/nector for the bees and our friend could not keep all the hives alive. He now has only 35 left. Sad and there's no honey for sale of course.

My comment, Linda, Is this PREPARE FOR THIS SITUATION IN ADVANCE. Keep a goodly portion of your honey crop so that you can feed your bees during the hard times. Honey keeps for a long time. Research this aspect as Bill was taken by surprise and did not have the funds to save all his hives.
I love honey and bees (but am deadly allergic to the stings - even a sting from a stingless native bee is bad for me - yes, I know but that is me!)
Honey is so great such a health food.
All the best with your beekeeping.
Cheers Peggy in SE Qld