Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Cheap and easy yoghurt

My mother rang me this week to discuss the way I make yoghurt.  She used to always make her own yoghurt but it was many years ago.  In fact, she used to make her own bread, keep a garden for veggies and cook what we needed.  It was through necessity because we lived in a place where there were no shops.  I believe there was a monthly trip to get supplies but then she made do.

Now she wants to have a go at making yoghurt again but doesn't remember the process.  I pointed her to Rhonda's link at Down to Earth.  Rhonda has easy instructions.  I made some yesterday using this method and it worked perfectly.
However, if you want to try a cheat's method.....

Do you have a yoghurt maker?  There are sachets for yoghurt making in the desert aisle at the supermarket. You are supposed to use a full sachet to make up one batch of yoghurt in them.  I like my yoghurt to be cheap so if I'm using the purchased sachets, I do it differently.
I put one cup of powdered milk in the container and add water but not right to the top.  That way I have room to stir the mix.  Add two tablespoons of the mix from the sachet (the natural one, not flavoured), do it up with a rubber band and pop it back in the fridge for next time.  Stir until well mixed, then add more water until the container is completely full.  Give it a good shake to mix the contents thoroughly and put into the yoghurt maker, following the instructions on how much boiling water etc.

A few hours later you will have yoghurt.  The sachet last for several batches instead of just the one!
I prefer the proper method of making yoghurt but if I'm short on time I use the cheat's method.  It is certainly better than buying yoghurt.  Shop bought can never be as fresh as homemade, accumulates lots of food miles and wastes material on packaging.  Mind you, I do love the bucket my last bought batch came in!

Do you make your own yoghurt?

7 comments:

Crunchie's Mum said...

I make two litres every couple of weeks. It makes a great breakfast for someone who can no longer tolerate milk.

Cheryl said...

I've made yoghurt a couple of times, and I can get it to set etc, but I seem to end up with a grainy consistency???? I use Rhonda's recipe with the powdered milk, I'm just thinking, maybe I should leave the powdered milk out and see what happens???

Linda said...

Hi Crunchie's Mum, It's yummy isn't it? And then we can flavour it with whatever we like, stewed fruit, jam for sweet tooths, honey.....

Cheryl, This week I used goat's milk with Rhonda's method. (No powder). It's just lovely! I would try it with just milk and see how you go. Let me know if it's any better because I'd be interested.

Kathy said...

I've made yoghurt twice and the kids loved it....I'm about to make another batch today.

Cheryl...my only thoughts are the "temperature" it has to be right otherwise it won't work. Kathy

Cheryl said...

Thanks Linda and Cathy, I might even set a batch up tonight!

Tracey said...

I make mine with just powdered milk and a spoonful of my last batch. Very cheap and nearly always works. And its even better strained for greek yoghurt (whey can then be used in baking). I've also started making almond milk yoghurt for the dairy free hubby - it's a much more complicated process, but still not too hard and gives him some yummy probiotic goodness without the eczema causing milk.

Linda said...

Good luck Cheryl.

Tracy, Wow! I didn't even know you could make yoghurt from almond milk. Do you ever strain it for a couple of days to make 'cheese'? It's very yummy!