Monday, 16 February 2015

The packed lunch trip

You know when you tell someone you're going somewhere and they want to tease you about the distance?  Most often used when you've decided to move house.  You get that supportive (NOT) quip about, "Geez, We'll need a packed lunch to come and visit!"

Well, I use the term packed lunch a lot these days. I think I'm the queen of the packed lunch!  If I need to go anywhere by car, I want to make the most of the trip.  I save petrol by multitasking and I save on time.  Home educating my children becomes very hard when we flit here, there and everywhere.  When we have a few 'home' days in a row, we feel organised and relaxed.  I'd much prefer to get heaps of jobs out of the way on one day so we can be home more.
Hence my packed lunches.  If we are going to our near town (twenty minutes by car) I write a list of all the things we need to do.  For example,

  • buy butter
  • buy shoelaces
  • go to bank
  • library
  • take clothes to op shop (and usually come home with heaps of other stuff from there)
  • sewing shop
 More often than not, I can get these jobs done before or after lunch.  Sometimes we treat ourselves to a pie at the bakery.

However, if I need to travel further afield, due to our small town's lack of shopping variety, it becomes a packed lunch affair.
We're due to go to the dentist for a check-up for Buddy.  He usually goes to Melbourne to the Royal Children's Hospital and always goes under general anaesthetic if he needs any work done due to his behaviour in the dental chair.  Actually, we can't even get him into the dental chair.  He insists that he sits on the regular waiting chairs while the dentists check his teeth.  He obviously feels they are not threatening as they are placed there for the non-patients.  I have found a dentist at a rural city near us that is soooo good with children and have decided to take him for regular check-ups to combat his fear of dentists.  I don't want him to have to undergo a major anaesthetic every time he needs a small procedure.


Sooo..... We'll travel for about an hour and visit as many places as we can.  There are orchards nearby so I might see what they're selling.  I'm hoping to source some tomatoes (for preserving) but I'm not really sure which orchards sell them in bulk.  I'll allow time to ask around.  I'll go to look for more school supplies.  I'll go to a camping supply store to see if I can replace the broken lids for a couple of our stainless steel drink bottles.  I'd hate to throw them out.  I'll try and get a new cord for my external hard drive and so on and so on.  Ooooh!  And I think I'll pop in at Spotlight!  Love a massive range of craft stuff.

The children will have food and drink in case we spend a lot of time driving from place to place.  I'll take our devices so they can study in the car, some readers for Buddy in case we have waiting time at the dentist.  Belle will take some craft.  It will be a big and hopefully productive trip with lots of planning and preparation.  Heck, I might even get fancy and iron a shirt for Buddy for the big occasion.  Lol!

Do you go crazy trying to achieve everything on one trip?

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Always! That may be why I hate to shop as I try to fit in too many things and come home exhausted swearing "never again"! :) Maybe if I packed a lunch I would be less crabby?!

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

Me too! A list of all the things that need to be done is always being carried.

Cheryl said...

I would like to be better at taking a "packed lunch" when I go out AND I've been working on grouping errands for a while, I think I'm getting better at it.

Linda said...

Kathy, I'm not one who enjoys shopping either. I didn't complete half of the jobs but the dentist was a huge success!

Great idea Cityhippyfarmgirl! I just write out a list when I'm going but, yes, I should carry an ongoing list just in case.

Good stuff Cheryl. It doesn't make for a casual day but I love getting heaps done.

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

We plan like you to get all the jobs done in one trip and usually we have at least 4 - 10 different place to go to. We always take drinks and snacks but if we have not been out for a few weeks we might eat out and call it a date lunch. it is not that romantic but it does give us time to sit and talk and usually add more jobs to the list. We find this comes in handy as we can do any new jobs while we are out.

Jess64 said...

I grew up living over an hour from even a basic general store, so basically when we travelled to a couple of hours to a "real" town we always had lots to do.
I once asked Dad, what else he did when he and mum went to Melbourne to get married.