Wednesday, 18 February 2015

My muddle

On my good, productive days, I feel gooey!  I'm living the life I've always wanted to live.  What could be better?

However if I'm honest there are lots of bad days too.  Trying to live as sustainably as possible does create extra tasks.  There are the days on which I wake feeling tired before I've begun.  There are days on which I wake to a terrible mess in the morning.
I'm not a night person and will fall into bed at the end of the day without a thought of the dishes waiting by the sink.  But then I wake up to...........
In our home, more often than not, I don't just pop that empty jar into the recycling.  Oh no, not me!  I leave it next to the sink to be washed up ready to use for some gastronomic delight I am yet to make. I can't waste a perfectly good jar!

There's the garden to water, seeds I should have sowed already, animals to care for, milking to be done, chaff to be bought, children to be taught, a house to clean, cooking to be done, clothes to be washed, appointments to be kept.....

I still need to make time for the children to enjoy the things children should.
 

I can't throw out that piece of ribbon!  I might use it one day to pretty up a gift.  So I pop it on the stairs to take up next time I walk past...... and the pile on the stairs grows.

The stale bread can't go in the chook bucket this time.  I'll crumble it and pop it in the freezer when I get a chance so that I have breadcrumbs on hand.  Ooops!  Forgot.  I've now found a green loaf in the pantry.  Similarly the plums need attention.  I've used most of the plums for preserving, jams and sauces.  But there's one bag remaining.  These plums are going soft so I'll turn them into more sauce.  Ooops!  Forgot.  They've created their own version of a sauce by turning into slop as they waited for my attention.

Last night I was pickling as Belle and Hubby bottled cider.  No time for dishes or a tidy up.
Life's not always like this.  Sometimes I turn my attention to the house, tidy it up and swear I'll never get behind again.  But then I notice the garden is suffering so I'll turn my attention to outside......

How I long for some consistency!  Or more hours in the day.

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

I can totally relate to this.
My kids aren't homeschooled, and I don't have animals to tend, but I nodded at almost every other scenario!
...and some wonder what we do all day! LOL

Kate said...

Don't worry; be happy! Life is not meant to be like it is in magazines and on TV, all cleared surfaces as if no-one lives there. Your children will grow up, like mine have, happy, healthy and so pleased you gave them the life you did. I am resigned to a very messy kitchen and a pantry full of empty and full jars and bottles.... Much better than a tidy house and an empty pantry or one full of supermarket stuff.(Thanks for your comment on my blog too)

Selina Baihn said...

ha ha ha i can relate to this, it just shows you are a real person living the way life should be lived, full!
well done! the chooks end up with the food or the compost does & it all comes back to you anyway so no real waste
life should be enjoyed
have a wonderful day

Farmer Liz said...

I kind of just clean the space when I need it.... like if I want to cook, I will clean the kitchen first. If we have a visitor coming I will tidy up the spare room (which is a good spot to pile stuff that we don't know what to do with). There's no point getting it all clean and tidy if its only going to get messy again. We prefer to be outside anyway :)

Caro said...

Oh that sounded so familiar Linda...

Jennathepiglady said...

Ah, you know you're just making me feel normal!

Anne@ArtyGreen in Paradise said...

Oh yes, I can relate too - all day at home, nearly every day, and still a big mess and a never-ending list. And I don't have 3 children to teach either. But it is so satisfying to make and grow your own food, and feel like you are not contributing so much to the world's environmental overload.

Frugal in Derbyshire said...

Long may it be so!
Same here 34 years on - except for the children - just grandchildren in the holidays.
Many of my contempories are bored, with the highlight of their week being a lunch out or a game of bridge!
Bored is not a word used in this house! (or "tidy")
Gill

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

This is such a familiar story. This year I have been working really hard at avoiding these common situations. Where I find myself running our of time to process things I throw things in the freezer. Just today we cut the cheeks of a heap of mangos that were going to be too ripe before we could eat them, and put them on trays in the freezer. Later on we might dehydrate some and make smoothies with others. But at lest there are few less that will go to the chooks.

Around The Mulberry Tree said...

The more pristine someones home is, the more I'm suspicious of them. They can't possibly "live' in such spaces, just exist. Love it!

Lisa said...

I was nodding a lot with this - it's good to hear that I'm not the only one :)

rabidlittlehippy said...

Hmmm, sounds like my nectarines I got from a friend. I bottled 36 #27 jars of them but ran out of time that day for the next run and then my youngest son found out they feel lovely to stand on. Same with the apples. I put it off with all our appointments and finding a grub on 1 and I think I've missed their best before date now. Apple pie for dessert tonight perhaps?

The kids have managed to create mess in 3 of our 4 bedrooms (if they've been in my room...) and the living area is carpetted in puzzles and art smocks. Our kitchen fluctuates between dishes done and dishes not done about as frequently as the tide changes. Ah well. As you say, sometimes there are other more important things to do. ;)

Lady Lunchalot said...

Take heart... a clean house is a sign of a wasted life!