Tuesday, 31 May 2011

My Favourite Permaculture Principle - Produce No Waste

I have always loved the saying, "Waste not, want not!"  It makes so much sense to me.  Over the last year or so we have been challenging ourselves to produce less waste.  Not so easy in this modern world of convenience! 

By making most of our food at home we have managed to drastically reduce our kitchen waste.  We make yoghurt in a yoghurt maker, make meals from scatch, bake our treats, give the kids stewed apples and custard (oops, it's powdered!) to take to kinder in re-usable containers and of course fresh fruit needs no wrapping.  We wrap a lot of our food in tea towels if it is not suitable for putting into containers.  It is certainly not as effective as gladwrap but good enough for me!  I have made reusable sandwich wraps for the children to use for their packed lunches and they are great.  I wish I could say that we baked all our own bread but we don't come close to it yet.  I am not home enough unfortunately.  We do, however, put our bread bags to good use.  We hang them over a door handle and fill them with kitchen rubbish.  They are a great way to monitor how much rubbish we are creating because they are small.  We currently fill one of these in a day.  We feed food scraps to the chooks and recycle what we can.  We are always looking for ways to reduce our waste further, while keeping in mind that we need to prioritise raising happy children.  In other words, we don't want this challenge to become a stressful pressure, but to remain an interesting challenge.




  I would love to hear what other people are doing to reduce their waste.

No comments: