I make bread, muffins, pikelets and nearly all my pastry from wholemeal. With things I am uncertain of, such as my pizza recently, I just replace a little of the plain flour with wholemeal. If it works, which it nearly always does, then I use more wholemeal the next time. I haven't found a good never-fail recipe for a wholemeal cake yet so if you have one please let me know.
My flour mill sits permanently on my bench and is used most days. If a recipe calls for two cups of flour I grind a little extra to be on the safe side. The flour left in the bowl under the grinder is draped with a tea towel to keep the dust off. If I know I need more flour in the same day then I would grind it at the same time. I try not to leave the flour sitting for any length of time because it is so full of goodness when freshly ground that I prefer to grind it then and there. With my electric mill it only takes about a minute to grind two cups and it comes out slightly warm from the friction of the stones! You couldn't get fresher than that!
No comments:
Post a Comment