Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Homemade Vegetable Stock

I'm really enjoying making food naturally at the moment.  In fact, making stock is so easy I don't know why I haven't always made it!

I remember reading about roasting wheat to add flavour and I happen to have biodynamic wheat here for my flour mill.  I spread a cup of wheat on a tray and roasted it for thirty minutes in a moderate oven.  When cooking stock it's okay to chop vegies very roughly which makes everything very quick.  I heated some olive oil, stirred two chopped onions and four crushed cloves of garlic for a couple of minutes.  Then I threw in some celery (roughly chopped),  chopped carrots, water (several litres) some thyme, couple of bay leaves and about ten peppercorns.  Bring it all to the boil reduce heat and simmer for a couple of hours.



I really enjoyed using the wheat because vegetable stock can be a bit plain and the wheat gave it a nice earthy strength.  It's easy making stock because there is no right and wrong.  Just use what you feel like using, or what you have in the fridge and make sure you cook it slowly for a long time to release the flavour.

Added to soup, rissotto etc., it is incredibly satisfying knowing that the whole meal was cooked from scratch!

1 comment:

Brenna said...

I have never heard of using wheat in vegetable stock before, how interesting! I also recently posted on making my own vegetable stock, but for my next batch I might try the wheat! Stopped by from Rhonda's.

Brenna

consciousearthveg.blogspot.com