Friday, 18 November 2011

On My Mind - Famous Five



Today I'm joining in with Rhonda at Down to Earth for her regular Friday feature - On my mind.  Just pop up a new photo of something that is on your mind and write a short explanation.  Then in the comments over at Rhonda's you can add a link back to your post.  Then enjoy wandering around visiting everyone's blogs and getting to know new people.


It's not often I buy something new but yesterday Miss Eight came home from school to find a wrapped present on the table.  She has been reading some Famous Five books by Enid Blyton that I found second hand.  The trouble is she fell in love with them and read like there was no tomorrow!  I searched around for more but it was hard to find them.  I ended up caving in and buying the complete set.  I decided not to keep them aside for Christmas because I want to encourage this reading frenzy. I've been trying to encourage reading for fun but until she discovered the Famous Five she wasn't that keen and saw reading as boring.  How amazing that the only books that could capture her imagination were the exact same books that I loved at her age!  Nice to see some things don't change!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Such great books for kids, they never go out of fashion. Our kids read them and reread them. I don't splash out on alot things, but if there is a book my kids love, I will get it everytime.

Busy mum of 3 said...

I used to be a huge fan of Trixie Beldon books, do you remember those! I found a few at a garage sale a while back, and snatched them up for old times sake! My daughter hasn't got into them yet. And I am still a fan of, and still regularly read Little House On The Prarie, Anne Of Green Gables and The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe series by CS Lewis.

Jenny said...

Visiting from Down to Earth. It's amazing what mothers will do to keep our kids reading. I had my whole family searching for Babysitter's Club books (which I read in the 80's). Hard to find but so worth it as my daughter read the series just like me!

rhonda jean said...

It's so good to see young children still reading Enid Blyton. I read her books when I was young and I'm sure it's why I love watching Miss Marple now. It's great you got a set for her.