Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Ethical Shopping Made Easier!

In my quest to avoid the supermarkets, one of the hardest things I have found is sourcing local food and products.  I want to buy my food locally to reduce food miles - why should I buy food grown overseas or even interstate when I live in rural Victoria?  Surely there is food grown near me.  Local food doesn't need to use precious fuel for tranportation and will be fresher!


Even better if I know the person who grew the food.  I feel a real connection to my food and enjoy the process.  My poor family often have a plate put in front of them to hear, "Look!  The potatoes and tomotoes are straight out of the garden and the beans are from Nan and Pop.  And the sourdough bread is ours too!"  I love knowing the history of what is on my plate.


So I was delighted when I heard about this new site.  http://wp.localharvest.org.au/

Please have a look.  I think it is an Australia wide guide.  It lists farmers markets, local groups, swap markets, community gardens, bulk buying, organics etc.  I think it is fantastic!


You pop in your postcode and choose the extended area.  I chose 50km around us because I could visit these places when driving around for other reasons.  Then simply press 'update' to find what you have in your local area.  I expected nothing to come up near us because I thought I knew of all our options (which aren't many) but 14 different places are listed!  The site is only new so I imagine it will grow quickly as people discover it.

Great concept!  I wish there was a guide like it for accessing ethical, organic clothing.  I can never find anything in girls 8 to 14 range.  Let me know if you have a special shop hidden away somewhere!

5 comments:

Busy mum of 3 said...

LOL (hysterically) I am ALWAYS pointing out what I grew or made at the dinner table! It must be 'a thing' us new age hippies suffer from!

Kristy said...

Thanks for the link. Off to check it out :)

Linda said...

Busy Mum, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

No worries Kristy! I hope you find it useful. Let me know what you think.

purplepear said...

I also bore family and friends with a list of what food I'm serving which has come from the garden. Can't help myself, I still find the fact that we grow most of what we eat very exciting.

farmer_liz said...

great link, thanks!