Sunday, 13 May 2012

Cooking with Rosie

Wishing all you mothers out there a big, fat Happy Mother's Day!  If you are not a mother then I just wish you a Wonderful Day!

I had a wonderful day being a mother this week.  My Rosie has never shown much interest in cooking or gardening since she became a teenager.  I have found this hard because I am passionate about both these activities!  Possibly she is at an age that she is not interested because I am! (Not that teenagers are ever contrary)


Anyway, she came to visit this week and wanted to learn to make bread.  Yay!  So she followed the instructions I gave and insisted I not get involved.  I find it very hard NOT to take over in the kitchen.  I was like a cat on a hot tin roof while she was kneading!  My hands were itching to jump in and knead!

 
Then she chose to make some apple crumble while I cooked an Indian lentil stew.  I was very lucky to have my Mother in Law drop in a couple of days ago with some offerings from her garden.  So together we peeled and chopped..........   Rosie made three crumbles.



I love to cook but don't normally cook together with anyone else, so I really enjoyed the day.  I also viewed it as so much more than just showing her how to cook a couple of things.

I believe that at sometime in Rosie's lifetime it will become a necessity for her to know how to cook.  What is it that they say?  The supermarkets have about two days supplies or something like that?  It actually scares me when I realise how many people can't cook these days.  They just don't have the skills necessary to look after themselves.  I want her not only to be skilled in preparing food, I want her to get enjoyment from the process.

Now I just need her to show interest in gardening, sewing, knitting..........

Oh, and I hope she never reads this post or she might dig in her heels and never step foot in the kitchen again!  (Not that she's contrary or anything!)

9 comments:

Linn said...

Happy mothers day to you Linda. What a lovely day to cherish and I am sure it will be a fond memory for your Rosie as well.

Busy mum of 3 said...

I have a contrary 5 year old, we nicknamed him 'Mary' from around the time he could talk. I'm hoping he grows out of it by the time he is a teenager *ahem* that's just wishful thinking isn't it. Happy Mother's Day Linda.

Stitchin' time said...

ROFLOL! I contend with DD13 so I know where you're coming from. If I could just get her to clean up the mess after she cooks :O.
Have a Happy Mother's Day :D!

Kim said...

Happy mother's day , Linda. Love the sound of the indian lentil stew...you might have to do a post on the recipe for that one.

Linda said...

Hi Linn, I hope your mothers day was lovely.

Robyn, maybe the reason I felt sooo good about our cookup is that she *did* do some of the dishes!!!

Hi Kim, the stew was yet another of Stephanie Alexander's. She is amazing and every recipe I have tried has worked beautifully! She's my hero!

Linda said...

Busy Mum, I know what you mean. I am raising another *Mary* in Pumpkin. But surely I'll be so experienced by then that I'll know how to handle her?!

Dani said...

Your daughter will certainly thank you one day - contrary or not. Actually, I encouraged my daughter and son, and now my grandson, to help me in the kitchen. In fact, yesterday, my 8 year-old grandson cooked me (Grand)Mothers Day breakfast, as his mother was on honeymoon :) He did a sterling job!

It falls on us as mothers to pass on the knowledge that we have, otherwise future generations will think that food does indeed only come from prepackage boxes LOL

I'm sure, when the time is right for her, your daughter will enthusiastically embrace vegetable gardening (and weeding LOL)

Sounds like you had the perfect day :)

Linda said...

Dani your grandson is fantastic! Can you tell him I said so? I agree it's important to pass on skills and all my little ones help in the kitchen, as did Rosie and Lou Lou. Lou Lou is a mum now and she is learning as much as she can about healthy cooking so I still hold out hope for Rosie!!

Linda said...

Dani your grandson is fantastic! Can you tell him I said so? I agree it's important to pass on skills and all my little ones help in the kitchen, as did Rosie and Lou Lou. Lou Lou is a mum now and she is learning as much as she can about healthy cooking so I still hold out hope for Rosie!!