Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Silver Beet Root

A couple of years ago we ate self sown beetroot straight out of the grass!  I was pretty happy about this!  'Twas proof that our harsh, barren hilltop could be improved in fertility.  The start of the Food Forest!!!

So last year the beetroot was left to seed again.  I had heaps of little beetroots coming up in the bed they had been in.  I was feeling pretty smug!

But my image of myself as Gardener Extraordinaire quickly turned into an image of the Mad Professor tampering with nature!  My beetroot turned into this...............


At first I thought silver beet had seeded in the same place.  Then I realised my beetroot was turning into silver beet.  I mentioned it to Mum and gave her my theory that they must be from the same family and must have crossed.  She tried not to sound mocking as she explained that their names probably indicated that.  BEETroot and silver BEET!  Oh Yeah!!!  Duuuh!!!

Oh well.  I'm still a learner gardener.  I wonder how many years it will take until I become an expert?!

5 comments:

Busy mum of 3 said...

Hey look on the bright side, maybe you could be inventing a brand new vegetable...they even name it after you...;)

Linda said...

Ha Ha! We've still been eating the leaves, but I have heard you should only let one 'family' go to seed for this very reason. Another gardening lesson from nature!

farmer_liz said...

At least you can still eat it! We beginner gardeners have to start somewhere.... I don't have this problem because I can't get my beet root to grow (and certainly not to seed), but I did have lots of silverbeet that went to seed, as well as parsley in the same area, and now I have a huge patch of self-sown parsley and silverbeet. I can't wait to start a food forest so I can just let these plants go wild, so much better than fiddling around with straight rows in a vege garden!

Linda said...

Farmer Liz, I see you share my dream! I enjoy my self sowns more than any other plants in the garden! A lot of work to do yet but I'm more concerned about how this place will be in years to come, than this year.

Kim said...

Yes we have things like that happen in our garden sometimes. I am waiting on that 'happy accident ' where I invent the granny smith apple or something as well known.
You could be famous Linda, with this new found vegetable.