Sunday, 21 October 2012

Asparagus and Pea Risotto

I couldn't believe my luck when I saw this recipe on the cover of the October edition of the free Coles Food Magazine.  I am always looking for seasonal recipes.

I'm in luck because I have both peas and asparagus growing, but even if you don't have them in your garden, it makes so much sense to cook with seasonal ingredients.  They don't need to be carted from interstate so they are fresher and haven't had to use a lot of extra resources such as petrol just to get to your table.

I found this recipe had the added benefit of being incredibly simple to make.

Asparagus and Pea Risotto

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
4 cups of chicken stock
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups frozen peas (I used fresh podded from the garden)
1 cup grated parmesan, plus 1/4 cup shaved, to serve
30g butter, chopped
2 bunches asparagus, cut into 5cm pieces (again, I used some from the garden)
freshly ground black pepper, to serve

  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium.  Cook onion for 5 mins, until softened.  Add rice and stir to coat grains.  Add stock and water, bring to oil and reduce heat to low.  Simmer covered for 12 mins, until rice is tender.
  2. Remove pan from heat.  Add peas, grated parmesan and butter.  Stir until butter is melted.  Add asparagus and stir to combine.  Cover pan and set aside for 5 mins.
  3. Serve risotto in bowls topped with shaved parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.

Serves 4.  Preparation 10 mins.  Cooking 20 mins.

4 comments:

Linn said...

I saw that recipe too Linda and thought it looked delicious. Glad you tried it now I know it was good! It sounds much easier to make than the conventional risotto recipes. Definitely will give it a go.

purplepear said...

Sounds like a great recipe. Glad you're back on line. You have been missed.

Linda said...

Hi Linn, it's a great recipe. Most of my risottos are the traditional stand-and-stir types. This one is so easy that I've convinced hubby he could manage it! He's in there now, cooking up a storm while I finish some gardening jobs.

Hi Kate, let me know what you think if you ever try it. Ans thank you though I'm not sure I have this computer thing sorted yet! I have so much trouble changing computers. It takes ages to become proficient.

Busy mum of 3 said...

That sounds great, I must give that a go.