Sunday, 16 December 2012

The Christmas Season

Christmas follows a similar pattern for me each year.  I love the Christmas season but I find it doesn't begin until I have all my presents organised.

That's because I feel a fair bit of pressure these days.  I won't buy gifts that I'm not comfortable with.  They need to be ethical and they need to be gifts that don't disregard our wonderful planet.  This means that I either need to spend more time making gifts or more money buying organic or ethical gifts.  I don't feel rich in either time nor money this year so I have found the process very challenging! 
I am nearly there now though.  I have two gifts left to buy and I already know what they will be.  At this stage of Christmas organisation, I can feel the knot of panic that I have been carrying around in my stomach, turning into a little bubble of excitement.  I know from previous years that this bubble will grow and multiply from now until Christmas Day.  By then I'll be as bubbly as the glass of sparkling wine that I plan to enjoy with my family.
I went through the exact same process last year.  I remember vowing I would begin to prepare for this Christmas as soon as the new year began.  I didn't do it though.  I left it until late in the year to begin preparing.  This year I am vowing again.  Next year I will begin planning early!  Won't I... please... will next year be my perfect Christmas year....

Now I can enjoy the anticipation of gathering with family, the reason for the season, food, meaningful presents sourced with love and spending six wonderful weeks with my children over the school break.

5 comments:

angela said...

I have come to the conclusion that there is not perfect Christmas so I just take them all as they come. What are you knitting in the photo I live the colour

Busy mum of 3 said...

Bring it on!

Linda said...

Hi Angela!, I think you're right! No such thing as perfect Christmas but i keep hoping! I can't tell you what I'm knitting till Christmas is over. ;-) Yes the colour is pretty, isn't it. I'll get back to you soon.

Busy Mum, the words of a woman who is obviously ready and organised! I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas!

livingsimplyfree said...

I do the same, I plan to make things but wait till it's almost too late, some years it is too late to get everything finished. I'm glad you will have everything ready in time for Christmas.

Linda said...

Lois, It's nice to hear others leave things to the last minute as well!