Sunday, 6 January 2013

Easy Kale Risotto and Wild Plum Crumble

It's been ages since I've given you a recipe even though I keep promising.  So, to make it up to you, here are two.

Have you noticed yet that every recipe I give you is labelled easy!  I do love to cook and some of the recipes I make are a bit fiddly but I know firsthand how busy the 'simple' lifestyle can be and therefore I like to give you my quick and easy recipes.

I keep telling you there is an upside to everything and here is another one.  My garden is terrible at the moment and really all I have in abundance is kale (thanks to Evi from Sister Sun who sent me some seeds) and I don't really have many kale recipes because I've never grown it before.  So thank you meagre garden!  Through necessity I have modified a chicken risotto recipe from my mum and it was yummy!

We had both of the following recipes for dinner tonight.

Kale Risotto

60g butter
1 onion,chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock - I used homemade
bunch of kale (maybe a dozen leaves)
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock if you don't have the wine - I used dry sparkling wine coz that's what was in the fridge
three spring onions (chopped)
rind of one good sized lemon
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese and more to serve

Wash Kale and cut stalk out of centre of leaf.  Roll leaves together and chop.  Place kale and a small amount of stock (1/4 cup maybe less?) in a saucepan and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so.

Heat butter in pan, add onion and garlic, cook while stirring until onion is soft.  Add rice, stir until rice is well coated with butter.  Add stock and wine, bring to boil, simmer uncovered stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.  Add pepper.  (If your stock is homemade you will probably want to add salt too.  Bought stock has heaps of salt already!)  Add kale with stock it was cooked in.  If the rice is not quite ready but you've run out of liquid just add a little boiling water.  Stir in remaining ingredients; stir until hot.

Serves four adults (or in our case, two adults and three kids)

Wild Plum Crumble

Filling

Enough plums to fill a medium size saucepan
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water

Place plums and sugar in pan with water.  Simmer until very soft.  Pick out pips with a spoon.

I thought I'd get clever and push the flesh through a colander leaving the pips behind but it didn't work.  The plum flesh wasn't going through the holes.

Crumble

This part of the recipe is taken from my Australian Women's Weekly - Old Fashioned Favourites cookbook.  It's supposed to be on an apple crumble.

Now!  You can choose to do as I say or do as your doctor says!  I have doubled the recipe because I LOVE the crumble bit but keep in mind, there is nothing healthy about it!!!  I'm giving you my proportions so, if you want to be sensible, halve the ingredients.

1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
160g butter
1 cup brown sugar

My method varies from the original crumble recipe because I choose to do the crumble in the food processor.  It's quicker and easier!

Put flour and cinnamon in the processor and pulse a few times to mix.  Chop butter (cold from fridge), add to processor and give short bursts with the pulse setting until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.  Add sugar and mix well with a spoon this time, not the processor.

Place plums in an ovenproof dish.  Top with crumble and bake in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes until lightly browned.

Served the five of us with some left for Hubby's lunch tomorrow!  Oh, and I'm showing off now but that's homemade icecream made from Rhonda's Down To Earth book.
The Wild Plum Crumble is so named because we recently went on a camping holiday and drove past this  roadside tree in the middle of nowhere.
The next day we went back armed with one of the bags I use when I shop for fruit and veg.  We ate lots of them fresh that day.  The rest came home and were used in my recipe tonight.  Don't you just love freebies from nature!
I'm not good at working out the precise cost of meals but given that we grew the kale, garlic and lemon in the first recipe and the sparkling wine was from yesterday (so would have been thrown out) I guesstimate the recipe cost me well under three dollars for the rice, parmesan and onion etc.

The dessert would have come under four dollars easily!  Wow!  Seven dollars divided by five is.....  oh I don't know but one dollar something for each of us for two courses is not bad going!



2 comments:

Lynn said...

Looks delicious! Crumble, with any fruit, is my favourite dessert. Anything homemade with wholesome ingredients has to be better for you than the factory made alternative. Just reading the list of ingredients on the side of the packaging is mind blowing.

Linda said...

That's my theory too, Linn. I happily make all sorts of naughty indulgences and reckon we're still better off than those who buy ready made!