Thursday, 7 March 2013

Emergency Scones

Most of what I post on here is about how to be green.  So I'd like to make it very clear this recipe is neither green, nor healthy.

The reason I love it is because it is a great standby.  If you are anything like me, because you cook from scratch and don't like buying products with packaging, if visitors drop in unexpectedly there is just nothing in the cupboards ready to eat!

So this easy recipe is my standby.  I keep lemonade in the back of the cupboard (so the kids can't see it) and every three to six months I throw together some scones in a hurry.  There are only three main ingredients in this recipe.  Lemonade, cream and self raising flour.

Emergency Scones

Ingredients:-

1 cup cream
1 cup lemonade
3 cups self raising flour
pinch of salt
jam and cream to serve

Method:-

Pre-heat oven to 200c.  Lightly flour a baking tray.  Place all ingredients in a bowl.
Mix lightly until combined.  'Lightly' is the key here.  Don't mix anymore than you need to in the process of bringing it all together.
Scrape onto a floured surface and knead lightly.  There!  Did you see that word again?  Lightly!  Form into flat shape about 3cm high.
Cut out with a 5cm scone cutter. Lightly dust with flour and bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until the top is brown.  Serve with jam and cream.
They couldn't be easier and they are so light and fluffy!  So if you know someone is about to drop in.....  start to finish takes less than thirty minutes and they're beautiful!
 
Do you have any 'cheat' recipes?

6 comments:

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

I use the same recipe for exactly the same reason. I also have an easy muffin recipe that can be made in 5 mins and cooks in 15. I should really post it.

Busy mum of 3 said...

I've made lemonade scones before too, and they are a winner. Trouble is I never seem to keep lemonade or cream consistently on hand for those emergency moments.

Lynda D said...

Now i know what to do with the opened cream in my fridge. I'll just sneak into the office fridge and get a can of lemonade to take home. Thanks for the idea.

Dani said...

Ah - wish it was winter and my stove was lit - the last pic convinced me - I have to try this recipe... :)

Thanks.

Kim said...

I am definitely buying a can of lemonade tomorrow to try these babies. I am all caked out and I need a change .

Jess64 said...

I just use the soda water out of my soda stream. Probably not the same taste, but it does work.