I hear myself and think, "Shut UP Linda!". But still I keep going.........
So I would like to say right here and right now, when it comes to the big picture, I am truly a pig in mud. Just wish we could get some rain so the damn mud would stop drying up! Ooops, there I go again!
In the big picture I have a healthy family and we're a pretty functional family at least 90% of the time. The other 10% is in the mornings trying to get ready for school. Things aren't pretty at our place in the mornings!
I am involved in a community in which I feel I belong. In fact, I have three aspects to my community. My school community, my local community and my fellow 'greeners'. These communities overlap each other of course. They are each wonderful in their own ways.
We attended our swap market yesterday with my 'fellow greeners'. I'm always on top of the world on the second Saturday of the month. A friend made me some olive, garlic and rosemary bread that she made with the starter I gave her at the sour dough day. Twas yum! We came home with wine, spicy pleach (not a spelling error - peach and plum crossed) relish, grapes, home made ginger beer, tomatoes and something called Kasaundi. Apparently it's an Indian tomato relish (I'm a little scared of it to be honest. It's got some heat to it!) A couple of the tomatoes I brought home were ripe to the point of bursting so I made some tomato soup for lunch. The recipe is at the end of this post.
So truly, I'm very happy with how our lives are going. I like the fact that we are careful, community minded and connected. I like that our kids are growing up watching us sourcing local food, being involved with people on many levels and seeing us shy away from a materialistic lifestyle.
So I am happy! Just bear with me if I whinge........
Quick Tomato Soup
60 grams butter
Good splosh of quality olive oil
1 onion cut into half rings
4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 litres chicken stock
1 teaspoon sugar
1 or two teaspoons of basil according to taste
Cut the onion into rings. Cut the rings in half. Melt the butter with the oil and saute the onions till translucent.
Add tomatoes and simmer until soft. The time varies depending on how ripe your tomatoes are. Mine took about 15 minutes to reach a really broken down state. (You are supposed to remove the skins but I can never be bothered. I figure the family can eat around them but you might be kinder than me!)
Season with pepper and serve. It is very quick and easy and it's just DELICIOUS!
Don't forget to come back and tell me what you think coz I reckon this will become a summer favourite for you too!
Now I must go because it's going to be another revolting day! Hot and sweaty and yes, you guessed it, not a drop of rain in sight for the next seven days!!!