I grew up in New Hebrides which has since gained independence and become Vanuatu. The course on climate change that I just completed brought up a lot of emotions for me because it focussed on the pacific islands which are under immediate threat from climate change. It hit home with me, took me back to my childhood and revived many memories.
I guess I want to put this poem out there because I want people to really stop and think about who they are affecting and because I see this blog as a record for my children.
I Was There
I was there
and I saw.
I saw you
And your
people.
I loved you.
I watched
you climb the coconut tree
I tried to
do it too
Again and
again I watched and tried.
You made it
look so easy.
My sister
learned to shimmy up.
I never did.
I think I
was not brave.
I was there
and I saw where you lived
In little
huts with wild food growing.
You didn’t
have toys or books
You kicked
around an old tin can.
I wished you
had some toys like me.
But that can
game looked like fun!
To the beach
we went together
We played and
walked and climbed.
Above the
beach was sharp, dead coal.
With naked
feet we climbed together
My feet were
strong like yours.
I was there
talking to you
For hours
and hours on end
As we played
and ran my accent changed.
I spoke my
tongue but in your accent
My sentences
peppered with Bislama.
I became
like you when I was with you
And then
became me again at home.
I was
learning my lessons from overseas while the big kids sat in school
We brought
so much to teach you and helped with building too.
I remember
the day we taught you to sew.
A girl stood
on a needle
The cotton
broke and the needle was buried
So on a
launch went the crying girl.
She went to
the hospital.
My father
loved you too
I saw it
every day.
The respect
and care showed as he worked alongside you.
The pride I felt as a little girl when I said
my father’s name.
I knew he
was important and I knew that he was good.
I was there
and I saw you dancing
A pig was
tied to a pole.
I was sad
for the pig but you were amazing.
You moved
and chanted and sang.
You looked
so good and so many and so strong.
I was little
and I watched.
Your land
was paradise but I did not know.
I had
nothing yet to compare.
I loved the
land and I loved the sea but thought this was
the world.
But then one
day I left you
It tore my
heart in two
I didn’t
want to leave you.
They took
away my choice.
I was not
yet grown up and big
So I had to
go away.
I was on the
deck and leaving
Strange
people and strange clothes.
They watched
and felt my pain.
They tried
with words to help me.
But I just
wanted you.
So now I’m
home and lonely
I really
don’t belong.
I will find
a remedy
I can make
myself a fit
I can change
myself, the way I speak.
I’ll morph
and turn around.
I’ll forget
where I belong.
With shoes
and clothes and attitude
I become
part of the scene
As I age I
fit just right.
My God can I
consume!
I party well
with all the rest,
I’m fussy
with my diet.
I love to
eat at restaurants ,
I love to
talk to boys.
Slowly life
is trivialised as I learn the social fit.
I do it well
as I madly consume alongside my new friends.
Slowly I
grew away from you.
It was another
world.
An idyllic
world of sand and memories, of open casualness,
Of people
who liked people for who they really were.
No time to
reminisce, a new life to achieve.
I need to
work and shop and plan.
I’ve
children’s needs to organise.
I know now
what is happening
Our greed is
killing you.
We’ve
shopped and bought, we’ve had our fun
We’ve
consumed beyond our means.
We’re doing
it to us as well
But that
doesn’t seem to matter.
We just want more and more and more
Too
indulgent to re-assess.
I can’t
begin to describe my remorse
Worse,
I want to
change what has begun
but I don’t
know what to do.
I am here
now and I see
It was me
who should have been watching you.
I could have
learnt so much of life.
I’d love for
you to teach me now.
But you
can’t.
I want to go
back to my childhood and start all over again.
I want to go
back to where we were before we damaged our whole world.
It was we
who caused the damage.
It was not
you.
But you’ve
been left with the urgent mess.
We took away
your natural skill and left you, ostensibly enhanced by ours.
It makes me
sad to say it but
I can’t go
home.
5 comments:
What a beautiful poem, Linda. You are very talented. It created a very vivid picture for me.If that didn't make you think about what and why we consume, nothing would! The top photo of you reminds me very much of Belle I think.
Linda , that is so beautiful. I feel I know a little more about you after reading this . It helps to remember that climate change is very real and it is already affecting very real ,lovely people.
Linda, how wonderfully you expressed what is in your heart. We must all learn that for all the trappings of our modern life, somebody pays a price.
Helen
Just beautiful.
Thanks for your comments. I'm not much good at writing poetry but it feels so good to do it when it's a subject dear to you.
Post a Comment