Friday, 27 December 2013

The art of giving

Some people have a real knack when it comes to giving.  I'm not bad at knowing what my children like usually.  This year I got it right with Belle....


(a book by Asphyxia along with some of her artwork) and I got it right with Pumpkin....


(a locally made money box she has been coveting for a long time) but I failed miserably with Buddy Boy's present!

He wanted something 'Wiggles' and I got him a beautiful wooden vehicle with a windy-up bucket on it.  Not quite the right gift!  Thank goodness Santa had given him a couple of footy related books that he loved.

Belle was much better with the gift giving.  She knitted a glasses case for her dad, knitted me a couple of cloths and made a collage....
She made Pumpkin a dolls house...
and she even hit on the perfect present for Buddy Boy!!!  A home made Big Red Car complete with the new Wiggles cast!
She made all these gifts with no input from me whatsoever, expect for asking how long the glasses case should be!  I also had to show her how to sew on a button.  She spent HOURS making presents!

I must say, year by year, our gift giving becomes a little better.  A little more sustainable, a little less plastic, a lot more thoughtful in so many ways.

And Belle, you're a star!  I thought there were no non-plastic Wiggles presents but you sure showed me!

5 comments:

Christine said...

Oh, wow, go Belle! What amazing handmade gifts, I'm in awe. Totally loving that dolls house, and the collage with washcloths!! The look of astonishment on Buddy Boys face is pure magic. xx

Busy mum of 3 said...

Wow, that is all pretty special!

Kim said...

What a beautiful lesson on gift giving for Christmas. I was a little nervous with teenage children this year ... after all it is the age of being like everyone else .... but two grateful children unwrapping a few books and a special item like a pretty tea pot for young miss and boxing gloves for his new hobby for the young man was a lovely sight.Our children made homemade presents for one another also and it was the homemade that created the memory and the true appreciation under the tree that day.
What great kids you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

purplepear said...

Such great gifts Linda, even though Buddy wasn't impressed at the time with yours. I'm sure he'll go back to it. When i gave Evan his present he opened it and took each thing out saying "truck?" Not impressed but I'm sure he will play with what I gave him in the future.Isn't Belle just the cleverest thing.

Linda said...

She did well didn't she Christine!

Thanks Busy mum. It was great!

Kim, your kids are amazing! I hope my kids continue to appreciate 'real' things when they are teenagers.

Kate, lol, I wish I'd given Evan Buddy Boy's present! He would have loved it!