Tuesday, 11 March 2014

Chicken paprika and unintentional slowing down

*I'm terribly sorry if you visited this post earlier.  I accidently posted an incomplete version last night.  All fixed now.*. 

The car isn't working right now.  I should be feeling frantic but I kinda feel relieved.  Now I know, without a doubt, I won't be going anywhere before the weekend.  I have no choice but to stay home and that sounds good to me!

I wouldn't feel this way if I wasn't a home schooling mum.  I would be frantic about how I would transport the kids to school.  And I'm very lucky to have a good friend who helped us get to swimming lessons today.  I would have felt frantic about not getting to swimming. 

I'm also well placed in that I buy bulk foods so we won't starve.  There's plenty of food in the house.  We may not have a balanced diet but we won't be hungry.  Gee wizz, if the veggie garden was doing better, we would want for nothing.

Ahhhhh!  *contented sigh*  Now I can concentrate on just teaching the kids, looking after the house, cooking the meals, caring for the animals.... 

Earlier this week I cooked up a casserole with some true free range chicken I bought.  I felt pretty good about the meal because I didn't use any ingredients from the supermarket. Not one.  I can't often make that claim.  Although we try to source food as ethically as possible, there are nearly always one or two ingredients that I'm not happy with.   I'll share the recipe at the end of the post.
Belle is turning eleven tomorrow!  How did that happen!!!  She chose to celebrate with a quiet sleep over on the weekend just past.  I loved that she wanted to prepare most of the food herself.  She made gingerbeer a week earlier and Buddy Boy discovered if he stood in just the right spot, he could enjoy the drips as she decanted the mix. 
The weekend before, I had a girl's weekend away.  We went to Healesville.  While I'm not much of a shopper, I was very impressed by Healesville's retail outlets.  There were so many local products to be found and I even found a fair trade shop!  They have a regular farmer's market (I think it's actually weekly) and a monthly market run by a permaculture group.  It seemed a happening little town.  I would thoroughly recommend Healesville for a weekend away.
We've been reading about Australian History lately.  The kids have been fascinated by true Australians and their way of life before we invaded.  They've all enjoyed the lessons but Pumpkin has particularly embraced the books and spends most of her time wishing she were an aboriginal.  She looks as though she wanted to be an American indigenous person on this particular day though.
Buddy Boy has been helping his father and I with the goats most nights. He does such a good job because he takes it seriously.  He fancies himself a farm boy and even likes to dress the part!
And damn, does he look good and farmy in this next photo!!  Shame he drew on his belly button with texta and ruined the look!  LOL
 Our swap group is still going beautifully!  It's lovely to visit a different person's house each month and exchange goods.
 The basket I brought home this month was exquisite!  What wonderful abundance!!
 Belle's been reading a book up her favourite tree lately!  I enjoy Belle's company sooo much!  She's sweet, gentle, thoughtful and sometimes quite witty.  Happy Birthday baby girl!  I can't believe you are already eleven!

Chicken Paprika

1.5 kg chicken pieces
60g butter
2 onions
1 small green pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tomato
1tablespoon tomato paste (I didn't have this, so left it out)
chicken stock (I used homemade)
1/2 cup sour cream (again, I didn't have it, so left it out)

Melt the butter in large pan, add chicken pieces, cook well until golden brown on both sides.  Add finely chopped onions, pepper, tomato paste, paprika, stock and finely chopped tomato.  Cook covered until veggies and chicken are tender.  (I cooked mine in the slow cooker)  Add sour cream, reheat without boiling.

4 comments:

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

Hope the car fix is nothing too expensive. I tend to only use my car 2 days a week as I work from home so I am fine without it most of the time. Glad to hear Belle opted for a simple kind of celebration.
PS don't forget the recipe.

Frugal in Derbyshire said...

Good for Belle, making the food and drink for her sleepover.
re. Australian history I have recently finished reading "Fatal Shore" by Robert Hughes. it is a very well researched book and has some interesting early pictures too that might interest your children.
Gill

Ali M said...

love the recipe thanks and what made my day was that awesome pic of buddy boy! so looking the farmer part...just gorgeous

Linda said...

Fiona I'm pretty lucky to have a handy hubby. It's just time to fix things that is the problem.

Thanks for the tip Gill. I will ask at the library to see if I can get it.

It a yummy meal Ali. And yeah, he's a cute farmer. ;-)