Sunday, 22 June 2014

Sunday

Just a quick one today because I still have lots to do before the sun goes down!  However I feel like sharing my day with you.

Today I......

started a fresh batch of cheese and lovingly covered it with a blanket to keep it warm.  Keeping up with wood for the fire is usually a challenge at this time of year.  However I was telling Belle that I've never been warmer than since I started making cheese.  Hubby knows it needs to keep up to temperature so makes a special effort to keep the fire burning brightly.  She laughed and reminded me that his first batch of home brewed beer was fussed over even more!

Today I......

Was visited by Tinkerbelle.
and I......

put Belle to work in the nettle patch.  Doesn't everyone give their children jobs on a Sunday?!  Heehee.
I also worked alongside Belle in the kitchen and it was lovely.  She has finally mastered the tearing of a sheet of baking paper.
Today I......

Washed up more Vacola jars.  One of these days I tell you all about the acquisition of these wonderful jars.  I love looking at them and dreaming of filling all of them one of these summers.
I also tended my animals.  It's a job I love.  This is my new Orpington Rooster and I just adore him!
I watched the boys working hard.
I love this time of year.  It's so cosy inside but there are still plenty of opportunities to get outside and do hard work without getting too hot.

Right now, Hubby has taken all three children with him to go shopping!  It rarely happens that he takes all three and I'm loving it!  Kinda like a weekend away - peace, quiet, a rest for my senses.  I'm always on the alert usually.  Must fly.   I'm off to feed the chookies some warm whey with their mash.

I hope you're loving winter too.  What did you do with your weekend?

7 comments:

Suzie Simplelife said...

Looks like a lovely Sunday Linda. What are you going to do with the nettles?

Linda said...

Hi Suzie, We have a party coming up so I've made some pastries with goats cheese and nettle. I made sure we had enough left so that I could cook a pasta sauce for tonight's dinner. HOWEVER. Dinner may not happen yet! I let the goats out of the paddock (as I always do) to run to their pens but tonight they took off foraging along the driveway. I've come back to the house to sit for a minute while I summon the energy to chase them!

Lynn said...

Looks like my kinda weekend! Fire burning, jobs all round, no cheese but heaps of sourdough in the kitchen, proving by the fire. Oh, and the vacola jars, how lucky you are if they were given to you.! I've just purchased some, (aren't the expensive) but I also dream of filling them with summers fruits. Can't wait to see them all lined up in my display cupboard, full of delicious fruit? Have you been able to get to the spinning wheel lately? What do nettles taste like, I've never had them before. Hope next weekend is just as good!

Tracey said...

Love this little glimpse into your family's weekend. I'm strangely jealous of your nettles! What did you make?
Hope you enjoyed your quiet time alone :)

rabidlittlehippy said...

My weekend was as busy as yours. I've moved an entire garden bed and reshaped a new one, built a new bed, installed some old roof tile pavers (we have hundreds of old crappy roof tiles in amongst the weeds that are just getting broken otherwise), shovelled manure from a friends farm, spent some time at a playcentre with our kids, went on a date with my eldest then returned for his first cinema experience the next night. I ache like crazy and wish I'd got more gardening done but I've had a blast. I've earned the right for some rump toasting today I reckon. Oh, and with my husbands help we built a chook run in our veggie patch so that the chooks can help us with garden preparation.
I love autumn gardening. You can get heaps done without overheating and with the unseasonal weather we've been having, even though it's winter, has meant that you can get a goodly dose of vitamin D when you strip off the wool when working hard. Then when the rains come they do the hard work watering for you. Win!

Linda said...

Hi Lynn, I don't know how expensive the jars are because, yes, I was given them. I can imagine though because I nearly fell over at the price of the lids and clips alone! You must try nettles. It would take you about half an hour to collect enough for a pasta sauce or similar for your large family but it's a peaceful job.

Hi Tracey, I made a simple pasta sauce with onions, stock, nettles and cream. It was yummy.

Hi Rabidlittlehippy, I don't know how you fitted all that in! We would love to set up a good, easy system of using the chook to prep the garden but haven't got to it yet. Some years we build temporary runs but it takes a while to do it that way.

Brittany said...

What a beautiful rooster. So cute!