Thursday, 6 November 2014

Dinner for two - garlic prawns

The kids were at Mum and Dad's last night so I jumped at the chance to eat something non-kiddy!  I hardly ever eat prawns these days (or any seafood) because humans are over consuming to the point that our seafood is threatened. However I couldn't resist making a meal that Hubby and I love and which combines all the ingredients that our children wouldn't touch with a ten foot barge pole; seafood, chilli and enough garlic to kill a vampire!  Yuuumm!  It was lovely to share a nice meal together.  And it's such a quick meal to cook!  Recipe below.
I love it when I have space from the kids.  Because I spend all my time with the kids, it's a treat to have quiet time.  When here, they keep my brain overfilled all day and once they are in bed and I get 'me' time, my brain is kinda numb.  It's only when they're not here that I find myself reflecting on how we are doing as a family, our daily routines, changes I'd like to make etc.

So once I've finished chatting to you, I'm going to throw myself into my remaining kid free time with oomph!!  A little bit of reorganising our living space, a touch of gardening and some serious planning complete with lots of lists and time tabling!

But I need to ask a burning question.  How do you wash your rice?  It disturbs me to throw out good water.  Years back, I used to just rinse rice in a strainer under the running tap until the water ran clear.   All that lovely water going straight down the drain!  These days I put the rice into a container with a little water, swoosh vigorously, strain into a fine mesh strainer over the sink and repeat.  I only do it three or four times and the water is still cloudy but I figure I've wasted enough water at this point so proceed to cook it.  Do you have a better method?
Now for that recipe...

Garlic Prawns

Ingredients:
500 grams of peeled raw prawns
300ml cream
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon chilli paste
1 tablespoon cornflour mixed with one tablespoon water

Method:
Pat prawns dry with a clean tea towel. Combine cream, garlic and chilli in a saucepan, bring to boil. Remove from heat and thicken with cornflour mix.  Heat a frying pan to hot.  Add a knob of butter and some olive oil, stir fry prans until just changed colour.  Pour sauce over and heat through.  Serve on boiled or steamed rice.

And there you have it.  A ridicoulsly unhealthy but yummy meal that a responsible parent wouldn't serve to her children!  I find this meal makes enough to serve the two of us with enough left for me to sneak into the fridge for my lunch the next day.  Hubby's at work so what he doesn't know won't hurt him.  :-)

8 comments:

Lynda D said...

LOL - i laughed about your lunch today. Im like that with cheese. Its amazing that they wont look in the crisper when they are snacking so that is where i hide everything.

So glad you both ate it - or else someone might have been offended by garlic breath.

It very rarely happens but time at home alone is such a gift.

Kathy said...

That looks delicious....on the rice front I never rinse my rice except once a year using the rice cooker at Easter at my Mum's for Chilli Fish. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

Cheryl said...

I just wanted to tell you your side bar stuff is overlapping onto your written post, it can still be read, but there's obviously a glitch there somewhere. Is anyone else having this issue? It's only done it for the last two posts.

Crunchie's Mum said...

don't bother to rinse rice as well but then I mainly cook with brown rice.

Linda said...

Hi Lynda, I imagine life would be pretty hectic at your place! I hope you get chances to recharge. Thanks for the crisper tip! Good thinking. Lol

Kathy and Crunchie's mum, doesn't the rice end up gluggy? I know the brown's ok but white rice has so much starch.

Thanks Cheryl, I appreciate the heads up but I'm struggling with posting on the iPad atm. It will all be back to normal when the computer's fixed. :-)

Margaret said...

A Chinese friend says rinse 2 or 3 times, cover with an inch of water when cooking and should be all good.
When I lived in a small fishing village this was on the menu all the time,yuuummmmm, being Vego for 10 years means I miss it :(

Caro said...

I don't ever rinse rice Linda! I generally steam rice rather than boil it or use the rice cooker I picked up at the op shop :) Never have a problem. Only use brown rice or basmati though.

Brittany said...

Oh torture. That looks so good. Glad you had a good grown up meal. :)