Sunday, 17 May 2015

Sunday

As the rays of the sun turn golden (and I dream of photography skills yet to master) I contemplate the work we've done.  A productive day, full of small but significant achievements.

The cooked quinces hang in muslin, dripping out the fragrant juice in preparation for more quince jelly.
The electric netting fence, which I expect to be pivotal in our new system of intensive rotation, is up and running.  A basic shelter to meet the chook's needs has been completed.
A tagaste has been planted in the paddock and protected by scrounged pallets.
The Australorps have called an impromptu meeting to decide what needs to happen.  How do they negotiate this new fence to return to their pen??
The goats are in their pen waiting to be milked.  The goats savour milking time, as do we.  For them it means food and our company; for us, it means their company and snowy, fresh milk!
The geese wander in a pack, wondering exactly when they can expect some grain, nibbling at the tender, new grass as they go.
As an end to the day, I created a temporary seat in the paddock, thrown together (amongst the horse manure) with bricks and a plank.  I love it when we achieve something new and I like to sit and admire the day's work.  Satisfaction fills me as I picture, in my mind's eye, the fertile place I hope to create.  I also love reflecting on how far we have already come.  Yep!  It's been a good Sunday!

Did you have a lovely Sunday?

10 comments:

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

What a great day you have had. You got lots done and I too love the satisfaction of getting lots of little jobs done and being able to sit back and look at all your hard work. Nothing wrong with a bench among the poo.

Skippyherron said...

The chickens do look like they're having a meeting! Ha! What a day of great jobs being done!

Chris said...

Taking the time to reflect on our efforts, is a wonderful feeling. Its like feeding the soul after a hard day's work. :)

Gingi Freeman said...

Awwww, your goat photo makes me miss my goats!! *sniffle* - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Farmer Liz said...

you will have to report back on that mesh.... I never know which brand to buy, let us know if its a good one :)

Around The Mulberry Tree said...

Ah, funny chookies! Good to see you take the time to celebrate what you've achieved, we have to remember to do that with our project too. Easy to think you've gotten nowhere unless you remind yourself.

Linda said...

It's a good feeling isn't it Fiona!

Yes Skippyherron, it was a good day and the chooks were most put out.

Chris, It really does feed the soul. Life would be awful without achievements.

Ahh Gingi! You've also experienced the joy of goats. Aren't they wonderful!

I'll definitely let you know Liz. I'm planning to buy another one soon and it will be a different brand. I'll be able to make a comparison.

Mulberry, I often need to remind myself too. I certainly have times when I get caught up in what I CAN'T get done. Lately I've been full of enthusiasm. A great mood booster!

Suzie Simplelife said...

Linda Quince jelly is one of my favourite things.. . do you have a recipe. It is so hard to find these days...lot's of quince paste around but not the beautiful clear jelly that I love on toast.

Suzie Simplelife said...

Linda Quince jelly is one of my favourite things.. . do you have a recipe. It is so hard to find these days...lot's of quince paste around but not the beautiful clear jelly that I love on toast.

Tania @ Out Back said...

What a lovely Sunday you had Linda. I cant wait until I get my supply of goats milk from my daughters goats. They have all had their kids so now I wait :)

I make quince compote in the slow cooker, the taste is so delicious. Makes me want a quince tree, but I am lucky to source them for free so no need really.

xTania